cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currently gettting 7-9Mbps when used to 50-60Mbps over past 18months

drummer4breeze

Currently gettting 7-9Mbps when used to 50-60Mbps over past 18months

I recently renewed my Plusnet account after having been largeky satisfied with the service over last 18 months.

Following a day (12/01/21) of constant disconnects (where plusnet router flashed orange before going blue every 20-20mins approximately) I am now consistently getting a fraction of my paid for download speed. (Upload is consistently fine). 

Same when directly RJ45'd? YES

Same post manual & software restarts of Router? YES

Historically, poor download speeds have usually been rectified by a quick router reboot, but not now and not for days now. 

Obviously the importance of good internet when wfh right now cannot be overstated and I am obviously expecially miffed having only recently renewed. Please can someone take a look into my case as a matter of urgency? Pic attached.

-James

8 REPLIES 8
ecrTech
Grafter

Re: Currently gettting 7-9Mbps when used to 50-60Mbps over past 18months

same here, I renewed my contract “they say if not satisfied you can cancel within 14 days” the first 14 days every thing were fine connection: download at 38 Mbps and upload at 8.7 Mbps but as soon as my 14 days ended, they decreased my broadband connection: download at 27 or 30 Mbps and upload at 5.8 or 6.7 Mbps. not as bad as yours though

cOmp
Rising Star

Sounds like you may have a fault on your line. Report it using the faults tool Plusnet has or call them quite early in the morning to avoid hours on hold.

Some will say do a silent line test but most of use can't do this as to do one efficiently as you need an analogue house phone and in this day and age majority of folks won't have one. If you do happen to have a retro phone do the line test, it needs to be silent with no noises.
Yorkshire and Proud. Embarrassed to be with Plusnet.
drummer4breeze

I followed your advice and recieved the following response yesterday:-

I have looked into the broadband connection, and it appears that the line has been banded as a result of the phone fault. When there has been an increase in noise or interference on the line, the exchange alters a setting known as the signal to noise ratio. This alteration helps to keep the connection stable despite the interference, but has a negative impact on the connection speed.  If the noise or interference remains a constant, the line can become chronically banded, where the settings are unable to adjust automatically until the interference is confirmed to be resolved.  As the phone fault has now been rectified I have reset the line and removed the banding, which will now allow the line to automatically adjust within the next 24 hours.

As of writing this it's been 36 hours and still no difference, despite router restarts.  Sad 

cOmp
Rising Star

They may have unbanded you which is good but they can't reset your line only OR can do DLM resets. Normally once the fault has been fixed the DLM will adjust itself and increase your speeds around the very early hours of the morning. However sometimes the DLM gets stuck and fails to adjust the speeds (increase).

Keep on at them and push for a DLM reset which they will avoid doing. Did any OR engineers come out to fix the fault? If so did they perform a DLM reset whilst at cabinet?
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@cOmp  Not sure if you are correct about banding, it is an action that DLM takes and can be removed by Plusnet requesting a DLM reset. Plusnet do not have any direct control over banding, so I assume they have asked for a DLM reset, whether openreach have done anything is the question.

cOmp
Rising Star

Banding AKA Speed Cap is placed by ISPs that is how they manage different packages i.e your line can support 80/20 but you decide to go for the 40/10, the ISP will band you to only get the 40/10 otherwise everyone will go for the cheaper package and get the top package speed if their line supports it.

OP has said that their speed was banded (confirmed via ticket?) and they (Plusnet) have removed the band and reset, but plusnet don't have the tools to perform a reset maybe what they ment was a refresh and what the OP will be relienet on now is the DLM to register that the speed needs to be bumped up but OP will have to wait until the DLM does it itself but that can takes days/weeks/months even never.

A manual DLM reset by OR will take effect instantly but to have this done Plusnet would have to raise a job with OR to attend cabinet and perform the rest. I am not sure why the OP has been told that it has been reset and will take 24 hours and almost 4 days later there has been no improvement.

Back to the original question to OP, did OR attend if nesessary fix fault and at least reset?

My guess is they have done a refresh and waiting for the DLM to do it's own thing and was hoping it will have done it in 24 hours.

I'm not affiliated with Plusnet as my signature says I'm embarrassed to be associated with them by being a customer due to the lack of support and customer services. So I maybe way off the mark with the advise I give which I believe to be fair and reasonable at the time of postings.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

A manual DLM by OR will take effect instantly but to have this done Plusnet would have to raise a job with OR to attend cabinet and perform the rest.

ISPs are able to request remote DLM resets from OR without the need for an engineer to attend the cabinet. They are usually actioned within 24hrs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cOmp
Rising Star

Then in this scenario, Plusnet haven't requested a remote reset or "forgot" or even maybe hasn't worked.

I was under the impression Plusnet was not part of the remote reset trials and doesn't have access to that system.

I guess we will never know unless a staffer confirms that Plusnet does have access to the system.