cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current line speed: 2.1 Mb

savhtc
Dabbler

Current line speed: 2.1 Mb

Help!!  I've been a happy customer for a few years, my estimated speed was 17mb but happily I was getting about 30 mb.  Recently I noticed that the speed had dropped and my daughter has been complaining that she couldn't connect to XBOX Live, while investigating that I noticed my low connection speed.  I've 2 young kids enjoying youtube in their bedroom, Samantha wants to use Netflix and everything we watch is also on Netflix so we really need the speed back  Undecided
Thanks
Andrew
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Current line speed: 2.1 Mb

first thing is to carry out the BT speedtest further diagnostics as explained here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
savhtc
Dabbler

The BT page give me this..

FAQ
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
0.94 Mbps

0 Mbps 20.73 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.94 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 14.51 Mbps-20.73 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 20.73 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.67 Mbps

0 Mbps 10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.67Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That 2.1Mbps was that really from your Current Line speed (Login required) or a speed test result? Two different things of course. Your Current Line speed should match the BT IP profile rounded down to the nearest 200kbps, so 20.5/20.6 Mbps.
If that was the genuine Current Line Speed, I'd get on the Chat or Phone and request someone bump it up to match the current 20.73 IP Profile. Current phone wait times seem to be over 30 minutes see http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=212&helpheader=rhmcallstats
savhtc
Dabbler

Yes that was really from my current line speed link.  Huh  I have contacted support so hopefully it will be sorted soon.  Now just to explain to the kids that they need to stop watching Stampy now so that we can watch Arrow  Smiley  So far this month we have used 333 GB, would this have anything to do with them lowering the speed?  We are unlimited customers.
Thanks
Andrew
savhtc
Dabbler

Forgot to mention we have been  using a TP Link TD-W8970 router for the last couple of years & its been brilliant, hopefully that has nothing to do with the problem.
Anotherone
Champion

Your usage would have no effect and neither would any problem with your router should their be one. As I mentioned the current Line Speed is directly related to your BT IP Profile, the current value which you've seen. At least that is still above your original estimate. If you were an early adopter on your Cabinet, then higher speeds initially are quite common. As take up increases, so does cross-talk and this unfortunately ends up reducing achievable speed.
One can only assume that the 2.1Mbps Current Line Speed value was a gremlin in BT/PN systems, or it was inadvertently manually changed when it should have been someone else's being corrected (on ADSL).
savhtc
Dabbler

Thanks for the info on how the speed can drop  Smiley  I think my old speed was about 30mb, this morning this link https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed states
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
20.7 Mb
That's a lot better, last night we couldn't even watch the Iplayer & were forced into actually talking to each other.  Crazy  Luckily I had three bottles of wine in the kitchen so I can't remember what we were talking about.  Sometimes in the evening my three kids & my wife can be streaming Iplayer, youtube, Netflix to their tv's/tablets, hopefully the speed I'm connected at now will be enough for that to continue to work. 
Thanks again
Andrew
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: savhtc
Luckily I had three bottles of wine in the kitchen so I can't remember what we were talking about.

Grin Glad it's sorted. You'd better stock up again just in case any more problems crop up, let's hope they don't Wink