cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosstalk / speeds / bt checker question.

apollo1
Grafter

Crosstalk / speeds / bt checker question.

Hi

When i first signed up to Plusnet in 2012, i could get 51mb, this has slowly degraded to 33mb, now back upto 38mb, it was showing 38.4 on the line speed, now back to 37.4 over the course of only a week
My line says it can only get 29mb?
Estimated line speed:
29Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-05-21 11:40:31
Current line speed:
37.4 Mb
I thought the speed degradation was due to cross talk but a recent fault test on my line says crosstalk not detected?
GEA Service Test
Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Appointment Required N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 38.8
Upstream Speed 6.2
Profile Name 0.128M-44M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-8.5M Upstream, Retransmission Low
Copper Line Test Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
REIN Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
I did also speak to plusnet this morning about renewing my contract, I was told I wouldn't be able to switch to FIbre Extra from Fibre Unlimited package as my line doesn't support more than 38mb? even though i my initial contract was upto 76mb as i could recieve 51mb no problem.
How is crosstalk detected if it doesn't show up on the tests? Also, how can my connection speed be always above the estimated maximum speed?
Openreach have been out before but said the line is fine, and as the range of speeds falls, the connection speed is always within the "new ranges" therefore the speeds are acceptable , which means it doesn't matter how low it falls, as long as its in the range there are no errors?
Also if it helps i have an ECI modem supplied by Openreach, connected to a Huwaei Cabinet.
I am approx 200 -220 meters from the cabinet
Thanks
Graham

7 REPLIES 7
apollo1
Grafter

Re: Crosstalk / speeds / bt checker question.

Hi
Could anybody from Plusnet please help with the above questions,
Thanks
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Sorry this wasn't caught yesterday.
Quote from: apollo1
I thought the speed degradation was due to cross talk but a recent fault test on my line says crosstalk not detected?

It always says that on the test. I have never actually seen it say crosstalk has been detected. There are a few parts of the line test that don't work properly unfortunately.
A line estimate is based on the average estimates of other lines in your locality. If the speeds on all lines are reducing, it's reasonably safe to believe that it'll be crosstalk. The markers can be moved, and that's just an unfortunate characteristic of the technology (until vectoring turns up)
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
AndyH
Grafter

I've seen it once on here I think - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,131418.msg1151302.html#msg1151302
From the OR manual (about the crosstalk test):
Higher than the predicted level of crosstalk detected Cross-talk,(XT) is an electrical characteristic of a line where signals from other xDSL services may be interfering with each other where they share the same cable. This could impact line performance for some end users.
This condition is for information only (statement of fact) and unfortunately there is nothing immediate that we can do to improve it.
Crosstalk: A characteristic of a line, where signals from other DSL services may be interfering with each other. This outcome is returned so you can manage the End User expectations
apollo1
Grafter

HI
Thanks for the reply's, Hopefully Vectoring will sort this out.
I read they have extended the cabinets on trial in london, any ideas on a launch date?
Thanks
AndyH
Grafter

I believe this is the latest:
Quote from: Ignition
So, vectoring.
No deployments are planned in the commercial footprint.
Some deployments are planned in 'vector ready' BDUK sites where vectoring cabinets will see improvements in coverage at the current speed levels.
No plans to use vectoring to offer new tiers on FTTC.
Any widespread vectoring previously considered dropped in favour of G.fast, VM having begun to aggressively pursue ultrafast alongside expanding their coverage rendering the relatively small uplift from vectoring worthless.
I hate to say I told you so, but... I did tell you so.
apollo1
Grafter

Why is the plusnet estimate so far out from the BT checker and my current line speed is even higher.
Does the plusnet system take the lowest Range A speed to display, as BT infinity site says between 29mb and 37.7 is expected.
When i called about renewing my contract etc, was told my line doesn't support fibre extra, but clearly its more than 38mb (only just)

Estimated line speed:
29Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-05-25 17:07:57
Current line speed:
39.6 Mb

FTTC Range A (Clean)         37.7 29.3 7.5 5.7 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 31.1 16.5 7.5 3.7 -- Available
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

If your estimate is above 40mbps then you'll be able to upgrade to Fibre extra.
As far as I'm aware we take the lower end from the A range.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team