Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crackly phone line and no internet connection

FIXED
MrCJLambert
Dabbler

Crackly phone line and no internet connection

Hello folks,
Been experiencing some trouble over the past couple of weeks. The phone-line has been extremely crackly and we've lost all internet connection. I've tried resetting the router, changing the authentication on my access point to CHAP from AUTO_AUTH and using the master socket to no avail. Has anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks,
CJL
9 REPLIES 9
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Crackly phone line and no internet connection

Welcome to the Forum.

I would guess that the loss of internet is connected to the noise on your phone line. If the phone is not with Plusnet, report a phone fault to your supplier; if it is with Plusnet, report a phone fault to them and mention the loss of internet (if you get to speak to a person). See if the internet comes back once the fault is cleared. If not, report that as a further fault as soon as you can.

You may get lucky and a Plusnet person picks up on this correspondence but don't rely on that and tell whoever about the problem now rather than waiting.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Experience would suggest that when reporting phone faults, it's a good idea not to mention broadband, especially if voice and data are from different suppliers - it can lead to a lot of buck-passing.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
MrCJLambert
Dabbler

We have both through Plusnet Smiley
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

I would report at least the phone fault, and see what happens.

MrCJLambert
Dabbler

Okay so the line is much better now and the fibre connection is working but at much lower speeds than normal. Used to get between 50 and 70 mbps download before and I'm currently getting ~18mbps. Upload is fine.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I'd like to have a look into this for you. Can you drop me a message with your username please?

Also in the meantime can you try following the checks here to see if they make any difference? https://goo.gl/hcHRDv

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Fix

Thanks for the PM, I see that we're already looking at a line fault and have an engineer visit arranged for you which would be the logical next step to take. 

Feel free to give me a nudge if the problems continue beyond that or if we need to follow up on anything for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MrCJLambert
Dabbler

Well... I spoke too soon. The connection died again with the DSL light on the Openreach router flashing then going off
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I had a similar problem a few years ago.... the phone was a bit crackly, and I got issues on the broadband.

Finally, everything went completely dead (I remember it well, it was just before Xmas.... so I had no internet / phone over Xmas!).

The problem was traced to a bad joint in the cable: after it was fixed, the phone and broadband were perfect.

I suspect you might have a similar problem. Because of the noise on the phone line, it will be easy for the engineers and you to know when the problem is actually fixed.