cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could somebody take a quick look at my vital statistics please ?

martin2006
Grafter

Could somebody take a quick look at my vital statistics please ?

Well it's been a while, i was wondering if somebody would take a quick look at my stats to see if the speed i am getting is normal for Unlimited fibre please?
When we first got fibre in our little village my speed was around 40Mb/s and i am guessing as more people have joined between me and the cabinet it has dropped off to around 30 Mb/s.
Is that normal based on the stats.
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Could somebody take a quick look at my vital statistics please ?

one thing stands out - the download noise margin is 12.4dB instead of the more usual 6dB which is limiting your speed
martin2006
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Jim, is that something that could be happening inside my house or is it something that is to do with the characteristics of the line to my house, or either i guess ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It could be either
Do you have a master filtered faceplate with the router plugged into it
martin2006
Grafter

I have the master filtered face plate that BT fitted when I went over to fibre and I have some good quality cable running  from the front door, up into the loft, across the loft and down into my spare bedroom upstairs where my pc and modem are.
The cable that goes into the face plate doesn't feel ever so secure as it has some side to side movement but it is the same cable i used for my ADSL2+.
I am never convinced my line is great as i occasionally get a lot of noise on the phone, although they are cordless, and if i redial it goes away if that has any relation.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

that is a sure sign of the problem -the noise on the line that is - and is probably a symptom of a dry joint
This burst of noise would have cause the automatic system to increase the noise margin
I suggest raising a phone fault and see if it can be fixed
As it is intermittent that will be difficult
martin2006
Grafter

ok, thanks for your help.
A few years back i had a problem whereby I had a loud noise on my line and my old ADSL2+ broadband stopped working but the noise went away.
I contacted BT who sent out this super arrogant weasel who picked up my phone and said "there ain't nuffin wrong with that" and his other favourite phrase was "I only know two wires mate" and then BT charged me £120 i think it was. I could probably find a thread on here somewhere relating to it.
Anyway a proper engineer came out from BTW, plugged in a special box of tricks, told me how many metres up the road the problem was and  then came back soon after having fixed it. and eventually i got refunded minus any apology.
My long winded question is, is there a way i can rule out any internal wiring and would they investigate the 'high' noise margin or would they just say that it's because more people are now using it?
The other thing i find a little confusing is the Attainable Net data Rate of 44 Mbps.
Thanks again for your help
Just did a search and this looks interesting although they talk of lower SNR Margin being a problem which is even more confusing.
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis
I know when i was looking to try and future proof my modem router, i think i checked it was capable of Vectoring and also G.Inp, but don't remember why or what they mean..
John_Essex
Grafter

you can rule out interior wiring by opening up your master box and inside you will find a test socket. If you plug your phone into that you have removed all other wiring and can check for noise.
If you have a filter then you could also plug your router in there and do a speed test again with no internal wiring affecting things.
Hope that helps.
martin2006
Grafter

OK, thanks for your help, i'll give that a try
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Try moving the modem to where the line comes in rather than internal wiring. See if that improves the noise on vDSL, if it does find a local engineer (ex BT) and get the master socket moved?
Smiley
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up