cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could my speed be better?

aj007
Grafter

Re: Could my speed be better?

Agreed. Stats are still the same as before... And I still don't understand why the GEA results and the actual line rate are showing differently.... 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Running an E2E Access Test which essentially performs a stand alone status check.

xDSL Status Summary

Circuit Sync Status

: In Sync

Downstream Line Rate

: 64.1

Upstream Line Rate

: 20.0

The sync is the same I'm afraid.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
aj007
Grafter

I'm completely lost as to what's going on because my router and dslstats are still showing showing:

VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 20.063 Mbps 66.996 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 19.999 Mbps 66.997 Mbps

I don't understand how your test is showing one sync rate and my router another...

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I would be more inclined to believe what your router is stating it matches the GEA test, how Anoush got 64.1 with the other test he ran that contradicts both the GEA and your router I don't know but i don't see it being correct when two other things state other wise.     

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The GEA test earlier also had the garbage 64.1 speed.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Unfortunately @Anoush still believes the 64.1 figure is the sync speed so in his opinion nothing can be done. The evidence from the router stats contradict the test result so it would seem that  something is wrong with the tests that plusnet are carrying out.

Terranova667
Pro

@ejs wrote:

The GEA test earlier also had the garbage 64.1 speed.

hmm checked again Download speed states 64.1 is that the Sync or just the download result, the end of the GEA states 66.9Mb as the line rate which i believe to be the sync and matches the Op router so not sure how there can be two different sync results in the same test. 

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Perhaps looking at some other GEA Test Results would help everyone (@Anoush) who may be confused about the 64.1 value:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/GEA-Line-Test-Request/td-p/1353608

Terranova667
Pro

@ejs thanks for the link but still none the wiser really lol, the GEA test that Adam posted showed a perfect line the download speed was 80Mb the line rate at the end of the test was 79.9Mb so I'm thinking the line rate at the end is the Sync but still not sure what the download speed is referring to.

the GEA test that Chris posted in the same thread seems to be for a banded line 0.128M-55M and the GEA showed the download speed of 38.2Mb but the test is cut off before the Line rate is shown at the end so no idea what the sync may be to compare. i dunno maybe banded lines give weird results.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I was only really thinking of looking at the test results for the person connecting at the maximum possible for 80/20. All the values are sync speed / line rate / actual net data rate (different terms for the same thing). The line rate values at the end are minimum, average and maximum values, so presumably the one listed as "Download Speed" is the sync speed at the instant the test was done.

aj007
Grafter

I'm wondering if I should just raise a fault at this point because this hasn't really gotten anywhere 😕 Not did Anoush explain why the line wasn't reset after the fault was resolved.

Line speed it still 66.997 in case anyone is wondering, ran a speedtest and I'm hitting 63-64mbps pretty reliably, and 18-19mbps up. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Apologies for my lack of reply on this thread. The line wasn't reset following resolution of the fault probably because an engineer didn't fix the fault. It was resolved remotely by our suppliers capacity management team.

If you're getting max 64 Mbps on a speed test then that proves the sync is 64 Mbps I'm afraid. If your sync was 67 Mbps that was previously suggested then I would expect you to achieve a higher throughput than 64 Mbps.

Resetting the line and removing the banding that isn't affecting the service would likely have no effect.

I hope this helps clarify things

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Sorry @Anoush that is even more utter nonsense, you do not get 64Mbps download with a 64Mbps sync, what about the overheads on the connection. The profile is lower than the sync speed and throughput is lower again. The 64Mbps download speed is consistent with a 67Mbps sync speed which as has been stated before is being restricted by banding and would increase if the banding was removed. You have not clarified the issue, but unfortunately continued your mistaken belief that the sync speed is 64Mbps. I would expect a better understanding of FTTC connections from PlusNet support.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I think Plusnet have dug a hole for themselves by saying they would send an engineer to reset the banding if the banding were restricting the speed. And so, because they shouldn't really send an engineer just to reset banding, they have to stick with the anomalous test result telling them that the banding isn't limiting the speed, and ignore all other evidence to the contrary.

Even the idea that Plusnet will simply send out an engineer to reset any banding that's limiting the speed is probably nonsense - if it were true, then there wouldn't really by any purpose to the DLM applying the banding. And what type of engineer visit would Plusnet be booking with the line testing OK and the speed within the estimates? I'm guessing it would be one that would cost them.

The anomalous test result probably needs more investigation than the banding.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

if the banding was restricting the sync speed we would arrange the same type of engineer like any other broadband fault. It would be an SFI visit.