Could my speed be better?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Could my speed be better?

Test Outcome

Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 64.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 501.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence ; 00:00 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 14
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-67M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2016-11-17T17:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 66.9 Mbps 66.9 Mbps 66.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps

I've retested your service and from the stats above; the circuit is in sync at 64 Mbps, the banding is set at 67 Mbps.

If the banding was restricting the sync then we would arrange an engineer visit. As it's the other way round, we wouldn't I'm afraid. Rather, as the banding isn't restricting the sync speed we can't arrange the visit Sad

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
aj007
Grafter

How is my sync on my router 66.997 Mbps when your test is showing 64.1? 😕 I mean, the linestats would support the line being banded, since it's literally generating no errors at all. 

As I asked before though, how come my line was reset before the work was completed, and not afterwards?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

From your router stats your router is showing a downstream line rate of 66.9 Mbps which is also what our stats are showing.

As the sync itself is within the estimated speed and not being restricted by the banding, it's something we can't arrange an engineer for Sad

As for the line not appearing to be reset following the resolution of the fault, I can see that your fault was fixed remotely by our suppliers capacity management team as the issue was overutilisation across the VLANs. An engineer wasn't arranged.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Anoush  The OP's router is reporting a downstream line rate of 66.9 Mbps - surely that is the sync speed so it is being restricted by the banding. Can you explain what the 64.1 Mbps in your test is? How can the OP have a line rate higher than the sync speed? That doesn't make much sense. I think the speed could be better if the banding was removed.

aj007
Grafter

Yeah it seems a bit weird. My router is reporting the sync 66.9, GEA is saying the profile band is 67. My line never improved and the interleaving never backed off after the work was done. I'm really not seeing how this line isn't banded? 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

The line rate is 66.9, the sync is 64.1 Mbps. I'm not sure why DLM is not removing the banding of 67 to be honest but as the banding isn't restricting the speed we can't send out an engineer to reset the line because it's likely not to change anything.

Interleaving is also turned off. As for the discrepancy between the line rate and sync I'll look into it with my faults colleague tomorrow and will get back to you.

aj007
Grafter

On the ZyXEL VGM 8324, the actual line rate is the sync speed, so I'm still failing to see how the profile isn't banded. As I said before my line didn't improve at all after the problem was rectified on the 30th, the only improvement was that the mass CRC errors and error seconds cleared up.  

*Sorry didn't mean interleaving, I meant re-transmission. 

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@Anoush wrote:

The line rate is 66.9, the sync is 64.1 Mbps. I'm not sure why DLM is not removing the banding of 67 to be honest but as the banding isn't restricting the speed we can't send out an engineer to reset the line because it's likely not to change anything.

Interleaving is also turned off. As for the discrepancy between the line rate and sync I'll look into it with my faults colleague tomorrow and will get back to you.

This is the worst nonsense I've heard so far in this thread. "Line rate" and "sync speed" are usually used as different ways to refer to exactly the same value, the proper technical term for which is "Actual Net Data Rate". It can't be two different values at the same time.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@ejs  I agree with you, so far Anoush has not explained what the 64.1Mbps value is but it certainly isn't the sync speed!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Apologies for the lack of clarification.

I hadn't had a chance to look into it today and I'm on annual leave for the rest of the week.

I'll pick this back up on Monday.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
aj007
Grafter

No worries, enjoy the downtime!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks @aj007 and many apologies for not picking this back up yesterday.

I seemed to have missed it off my To Do list Sad I'll definitely get back to you tomorrow with clarification.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for your patience.

Regarding the GEA service test detail, the line rate is the sync over time, and sync shows this rounded up. If the banding was restricting the speed then the circuit would sync at the top end of the banding i.e. 67 Mbps.

I hope this helps clarify things

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@Anoush

That does not help "clarify" things at all.

Have you considered the possibility that the GEA Test Result is showing an incorrect value for some unknown reason?

How do you explain that the minimum, average and maximum downstream line rate values from the test results are all 66.9? Clearly the line rate / sync speed being anything other than 66.9 would be inconsistent with those figures.

How do you explain the 66,997k sync speed / line rate reported by the modem?

The circuit is in sync at the top end of the banding, and the GEA Test Result is displaying an incorrect speed of 64.1.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Sorry @Anoush but your clarification bears no relation to the facts and is as clear as mud, as pointed out by @ejs. The modem is syncing at the banded speed, what the 64.1 Mbps figure is you have still failed to explain.