Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could my speed be better?

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Could my speed be better?

every Engineer visit i have gotten has been based on my BTW IP profile being below my low Estimate which is what the OP is currently at,  the confusion seems to be what his sync actually is there are Three different results banding around which really doesn't matter to get a visit in this case Plusnet can request one based on the current IP profile should the OP wish to.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought they could request an SFI or boost engineer visit no matter what. It'd very likely cost them though.

aj007
Grafter

Surely the only number that matters is the lowest since that's what dictates the line speed ultimately?
Terranova667
Pro

@ejs not sure if it's only Plusnet or all BTW ISPs but they have always said the IP profile has to be lower than the Low end of the Clean Estimate for a Engineer to be booked regardless of the type needed other wise it gets rejected.

I guess maybe you could if your willing to foot the bill yourself but I don't know anyone that has done that.

aj007
Grafter

My IP profile is 62.1 which is lower than the clean low estimate? Or am I missing something?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'll see if I can get more clarification on the sync and line speed values showing in the GEA service test tomorrow.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Terranova667
Pro

Doesn't matter what the Sync and Line speed values are his BTW IP profile is lower than his low end Estimate he can request for a Engineer visit or have the rules changed all of a sudden. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

The estimate is based on the sync.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ejs
Aspiring Hero

@Terranova667 wrote:

@ejs not sure if it's only Plusnet or all BTW ISPs but they have always said the IP profile has to be lower than the Low end of the Clean Estimate for a Engineer to be booked regardless of the type needed other wise it gets rejected.

Then I think you've always been told wrong. It doesn't make any sense to compare the IP profile with the estimated sync speed. There's probably someone with an incredibly short line, and their low end A-range estimate is 79.9, and the maximum possible IP profile will always be lower than that. Now of course, if your sync speed is lower than the low estimate, then the IP profile will also be lower.

Also, I don't think you should try to have it both ways, since the test is showing an incorrect value, it doesn't seem fair to do things based on the incorrect value.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

For clarification, the line rate in GEA is basically a speed profile.

Just run the test again.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 64.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps

The sync is definitely 64.1 Mbps.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

@Anoush

Yes, we know what the test says it is, but that's not the same as what the modem is actually connected at.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

It appears that the modem is just reporting the speed profile/the line rate.

aj007
Grafter

Well them am I better off raising a fault? Because the GEA earlier had my profile and sync at 67, my modem says 67. The sync part says 64.1 and the BTw speedtest says 62.1? 

Can someone clarify what 'downstream speed' on the GEA test means? Because Anoush seems to be saying that it's the sync but to me it seems like the actual download speed

ejs
Aspiring Hero

@Anoush

Which part of "the test is reporting an incorrect value" do you not understand?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@aj007 wrote:

Well them am I better off raising a fault? Because the GEA earlier had my profile and sync at 67, my modem says 67. The sync part says 64.1 and the BTw speedtest says 62.1?

If you would like to raise a fault we'll see what we can do. But it's likely to return the same outcome.

Can someone clarify what 'downstream speed' on the GEA test means? Because Anoush seems to be saying that it's the sync but to me it seems like the actual download speed

Your download speed is your throughput to your device. Something we can't see from our tests. The downstream speed in GEA is the sync.