Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could my speed be better?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Could my speed be better?

I appreciate the frustration, however, our suppliers will only really deem a fault report valid if your line syncs below the estimates.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
aj007
Grafter

Well yeah, I'm frustrated when I've been going on about this for a month. I'm frustrated when my line speed never picked up after the exchange issue was resolved. I'm frustrated that my speed is 64.1 and the estimated low is 63.8, none of the profiles and sync speeds match. I'm frustrated that DLM doesn't appear to do anything on my line. I'm frustrated that the remote reset didn't clear the banding which isn't a new issue and I'm frustrated that apparently this isn't a problem. 

Thanks Anoush and Chris, I'll be looking to take my business elsewhere to be honest. Not a shred of understanding or goodwill being demonstrated for a long time customer. 

kitz
Aspiring Pro

I appreciate the frustration, however, our suppliers will only really deem a fault report valid if your line syncs below the estimates.

and this is wrong and its unfair on the EU in cases where there is something obviously wrong.

For well over 3 years Ive sync'd at >80Mbps with SNRm to spare and rock steady SNR. It never budged more than 0.1dB.
Then one morning after an outage at the dslam/exchange I end up with a line with spiking SNRm and throwing errors all over the place which gets me DLM'd. When the errors go too high surfing the internet is painful and some webpages wont load. So the DLM puts on Interleave... so I lose more speed and that just masks the fact that there is an underlying issue.

My SNR is cyclic spiking exactly every 5mins 30secs anything up to 5dB. A perfectly fine line overnight turned into something through no fault of my own and I cant do jack all about it because the BTw checker says 77.4 48.1

The fact that I sync'd at 80Mbps for over 3 years has nothing to do with it as long as I dont go below 48Mbps then everything is fine. In all honesty,  you going to try tell me that a line doing this (see below) is fine because its still syncing at >48Mbps

No its not crosstalk nor xmas lights. Its been going on for over 2 months now. With all due respect when staff cant even understand the most basic of line stats it doesn't really inspire confidence. Sad

This system is so very wrong. Its a garbage. Its why I cba to even report the problem right now, but I will do when I have more time and the next time I cant even browse the internet.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

aj007 wrote:

Thanks Anoush and Chris, I'll be looking to take my business elsewhere to be honest. Not a shred of understanding or goodwill being demonstrated for a long time customer. 

If you do go somewhere else then you will probably need to go to SKy, TT or Virgin, if you port to another SP that will likely be a BT WHolesale to BT Wholesale move and may not reset any Openreach DLM/sync data as that wont be changing, so you need to go LLU probably, unless a porting has BTW send a new provide to Openreach too?

If Openreach wont take a fault in if a line is within certain limits not sure what Plusnet can do, although its not going to be long before youyr line speed drops a few hundred k and be below the threshold for a fault to get accepted anyway! Maybe move that Christmas tree that bit closer to the Router? Cheesy

aj007
Grafter

Draping the modem and router in Christmas lights as we speak Cheesy

For PN: That's a joke btw

kitz
Aspiring Pro

Best suggestion in the whole thread.   Grin

That's certainly lightened the mood and brightened the thread up. 

/me makes a quick exit & crawls into a dark cave.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@aj007

If you are moving might be worth asking AAISP about what help they could offer to you if you moved there. They have an excellent record on sorting out issues with Openreach and even offer get out clauses on their contracts too if the issues are unresolvable.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@aj007 There's been a lot of activity on this thread since I last posted, but PlusNet are still being extremely unhelpful even after input from Kitz who knows a bit about Broadband!

I have found a GEA test from the following thread :-https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/My-speed-has-been-capped-need-help/m-p/1398175#U1398175  which  as would be expected shows the Downstream speed reported in the test to be the same as the modem data rate (i.e sync speed) 

You are on Fibre, this is fibre to the cabinet and will come over the copper line from the local cabinet.
6. Data rate: 1887 / 13587
Sync Status
In Sync
Downstream Speed
13.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed
1.9 Mbps

As has been pointed out previously there is a problem with the reporting of sync speed resulting in a lower profile than expected as well as the banding issue but PlusNet do not seem to be concerned that the system is screwed up which is disappointing. @Anoush now seems to think the speed reported by the router is not the sync speed but a profile, we seem to be wasting our time trying to get any sensible answers so I'm not surprised you are thinking of moving to another ISP.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

As neither sync value is under the estimated speed range, arranging an engineer with suppliers will likely return the outcome "Right When Tested" which is essentially no fault found, incurring a call out charge.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
aj007
Grafter

Forget it mate, there's no point in posting here anymore, we're just going in circles

aj007
Grafter

As a favor Anoush, could you run a GEA test again when you have the chance? I've tried messing around in CLI to see if the profile moves at all

22over7
Rising Star

Anoush, I appreciate the main point you are making, which seems to me to be: 

* It's not our fault. 

I completely believe you. I don't see any benefit in discussing that. But I'd like to learn more about a couple of things.

You mention "neither sync value". What? When the modem tells you that it *actually* syncs at such-and-such in megabits per second, this is presumably something almost electrical. Is this one of the "sync values" you refer to? A few percent of this will be used up with error detection/correction to establish communication reliable enough to support internet protocols, without resyncs. Is this the other "sync rate"? Or is this "line rate", a term I've sometimes seen?  (I've various other questions about "attainable" sync rates, SNRM etc, but never mind for now. I can google.)

The other thing is about "speed ranges". Who sets them? Openreach? Does anyone know how they do it? They often seem to be about 50% of what the modem reports. In any case, is there a precise definition of "speed range"?

Sorry to be pedantic.  I sometimes, I confess, feel that the whole area is full of jargon that is designed to confuse and obfuscate, that doesn't cash out in solid electrical facts.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

We could probably deduce the results by looking at the speed your modem is currently connected at, and the BT IP Profile from the BT Speedtester. If the IP Profile has changed and is about 91% of the modem speed, I'd expect the GEA test to show a different speed from the modem.

aj007
Grafter

I've set the command that you mentioned over on kitz so I've capped the downstream to 60. 

====================================================================================
VDSL Training Status: Showtime
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
G.Vector: Disable
Traffic Type: PTM Mode
Link Uptime: 0 day: 0 hour: 17 minutes
====================================================================================
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 20.063 Mbps 59.999 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 19.999 Mbps 60.000 Mbps

Guess we'll have to wait and see if the GEA test registers the change. IP profile is still 62.04

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

22over7 wrote:

You mention "neither sync value". What? When the modem tells you that it *actually* syncs at such-and-such in megabits per second, this is presumably something almost electrical. Is this one of the "sync values" you refer to? A few percent of this will be used up with error detection/correction to establish communication reliable enough to support internet protocols, without resyncs. Is this the other "sync rate"? Or is this "line rate", a term I've sometimes seen?  (I've various other questions about "attainable" sync rates, SNRM etc, but never mind for now. I can google.)

Sorry to be pedantic.  I sometimes, I confess, feel that the whole area is full of jargon that is designed to confuse and obfuscate, that doesn't cash out in solid electrical facts. 

No worries. I was referring to the sync rate provided by the GEA test detail, and the data rate that the modem is reporting.  The data rate appears to be matching the line rate. One of my faults colleagues best explained to me; the sync as a rounded up figure, and the line rate as the sync over time.

@aj007 wrote:

I've set the command that you mentioned over on kitz so I've capped the downstream to 60.  

Guess we'll have to wait and see if the GEA test registers the change

I'll re-run the test tomorrow.