cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could my speed be better?

aj007
Grafter

Re: Could my speed be better?

So it doesn't strike you as odd that the GEA test and router are listing two entirely separate 'sync' speeds? 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

My faults colleague has explained that the line rate is basically a speed profile. It's not the sync.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You have repeatedly insisted that the sync is 64.1. Are you seriously trying to tell us that you believe the figure reported by the modem is not the "sync speed"?

kitz
Aspiring Pro

@Anoush
@Chris

I've not read the whole thread but this caught my eye

As for the line not appearing to be reset following the resolution of the fault, I can see that your fault was fixed remotely by our suppliers capacity management team as the issue was overutilisation across the VLANs. An engineer wasn't arranged.

We have seen several instances whereby remote or automated resets do NOT remove banding. Over the past 6 months or so it has become increasingly clear that there are two different types of DLM reset - especially on the Huawei (G.INP) cabs. 

• A full reset can only be performed by an Openreach Engineer. This returns the line back to Open Profile
  • An automated/remote reset - rather than returning the line state to open, this will take the line back to a default state of Interleaving (confirmed at the time by Ian Lawrence Chief Engineer at Openreach).
    It does not appear to remove any banding applied either.

One of our forum members had to get their ISP (BTr)  to send out an OR engineer to perform a full reset to remove banding.  😕

kitz
Aspiring Pro

It appears that the modem is just reporting the speed profile/the line rate.

Oh dear Sad I'm afraid its not.  

The line is syncing at 66.997 Mbps - typical for a capped 67Mbps line.

It has an SNRm of 7.6dB.  The surplus SNRm means that it could possibly sync higher. 
The router estimates it could sync at 74Mbps, but I would not trust that figure because if the line is interleaved, RS overheads always screws up this figure.   I estimate the true figure would be nearer 70Mbps after a full DLM reset.

VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
               Line Rate:     20.063 Mbps       66.996 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate:     19.999 Mbps       66.997 Mbps
          Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
              SNR Margin:       15.2 dB            7.6 dB
            Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
          Transmit Power:        7.0 dBm          13.0 dBm
           Receive Power:       -8.2 dBm          -3.4 dBm
              Actual INP:        0.0 symbols      51.0 symbols
       Total Attenuation:        0.0 dB          17.1 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate:     23.482 Mbps       74.490 Mbps

Also it may be worth asking yourself if the line was supposedly reset on the 25th, why was the interleaving not removed on that date?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I don't believe the line was fully reset after the fault resolution, because it wasn't fixed by an engineer.

If we were to arrange an engineer, the OP has to should weigh up the possible engineer charge should no fault be found, to the extra 3 Mbps that may be gained.

I stand by the test results and the sync of 64.1 Mbps, so it's likely to be a no fault found scenario.

As my colleague has suggested, if the sync drops below the estimate then I would advise a fault to be reported.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
kitz
Aspiring Pro

I suggest that the OP does a full power down and leaves the modem powered down for at least an hour.
Then get PN to run another GEA test
Its known that very quick resyncs dont always record correctly on Openreaches RAP system.

After youve done this, see if Anoush or someone else from PN will run another GEA test.

aj007
Grafter

I've already done this before and nothing had changed Sad

And Anoush, explain to me how there's an not an issue when my profile has never changed after the fix was implemented? 

kitz
Aspiring Pro

@Anoush  Ive PM'd you some info.

Hopefully a power down may trigger the GEA test to show correct results.

It is unfortunate that we can quite obviously see there is a discrepancy and we can also see that the line has not been correctly reset. Yet the OP has to weigh up a possible charge for something that is not his fault.

A decent ISP would see that there is a problem and be prepared to raise it as such specifically saying that the line needs to be reset after a fault that was fixed remotely by Openreach.

This is the fault of Openreach's stupid system whereby they will not allow the ISP to reset DLM. It would save a heck of a lot of time and hassle if the GEA system worked similar to ADSL and it wasn't only Openreach engineers that can perform a full reset.

aj007
Grafter

I'll see if I get the chance today to power off the modem for an hour. Bloody problem is that I'm a doc by trade and I get sent critical work stuff throughout the day. Might try and do it overnight  

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for your PM, @kitz

I'll look into it once I'm back in the office tomorrow.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The only thing we can suggest here is to report a fault and request an engineer, this does likely mean the visit would be chargeable if the line is within the estimates and the engineer may not fix any issue/reset the line due to this, however it's the only way to attempt to get a line reset.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
aj007
Grafter

Why should I be charged when my line wasn't fully reset?

My IP profile is 62.1 which seems to be based off the 64 'sync', which should be 67 as per my modem (which would indicate banding). Literally a mess.

Something has gone very wrong somewhere and now you're asking me to pay? Funny

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We're advising it's likely to be a chargeable visit, the line is in sync within the estimates, whether than be 64.1 or 67Mb/s, they are both above the low end of the estimate range.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
aj007
Grafter

Well it's clearly in sync at 64.1mbps even though it should be 67mbps as reported by my modem, since the IP profile of 62.1mbps since 97% of the sync is 62.1mbps. How these mismatch isn't a fault I don't know. 

In light of this utter mess of remote resetting and being run around for 1 month, you're telling me I'll be charged because my line speed it 0.3mbps above the low estimate? Clearly a remote reset didn't do the job so the fault lies with you or OR as far as I'm concerned. 

Wow.... Huh