cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could a staff member help with this speed issue please?

benfphillips
Grafter

Could a staff member help with this speed issue please?

I've had Plus.net broadband about a month now and the speed is just creeping down and down. The IP Profile started at 30mbit and it's now down to 18mbit :(. I don't have lots of re-syncs at all but it's dying a slow death.

Is there some sort of line test you can run/reset the profile? When I lived in rural Australia I had the same speed as this on ADSL through a copper phone line :-/.

Phone exchange: PENRYN

Estimated line speed:30Mb (This may vary between 20.6Mb and 30Mb) - Checked on 2017-03-10 23:52:07

Current line speed:18.8 Mb

I would really appreciate some help with this as it's so easy for one person to saturate the connection and I'm concerned that the speed is dropping on almost a daily basis.

32 REPLIES 32
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Could a staff member help with this speed issue please?

Hi there @benfphillips I am sorry to hear you are having speed problems.

I've tested your line and I'm seeing your router in sync at 19 Mbps, as per the current line speed.

I'm not identifying the cause of this. I'd advise to follow the steps of the broadband troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net where you can complete the process to raise a fault to us if you need to.

I hope this helps

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
benfphillips
Grafter

Hello, I have raised a fault.

I can see some disconnects which are ALL:

PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

I've not been disconnecting the router. Do I need to use my own router to stop this behaviour? I guess it could be what's messing with my speed if the exchange sees that as a disconnect?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for raising the fault. Can you try a single reboot of your router please and let us know if this helps things? Looking at your connection I see this is ongoing for the past 8 days with no drops.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
CJ18
Grafter

@benfphillips

Hi Ben, I've only been with Plusnet two weeks and I've had two of these events in the Hub log, the second one dropped my speed by about 10%.  I have had no disconnects and although the entry states [User request] I did not initiate it.  I've raised a ticket and am awaiting a response as well.

benfphillips
Grafter

Yep, you're correct it seems to have been up for 9 days now.

17:38:49, 12 Mar. (173651.100000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

That seems to be the last entry for the disconnects, each time it reconnects it lowers the speed further. I think you'd agree 30mbit down to 18.8mbit is quite a jump.

Are you able to force the profile back to ~30mbit on your side and see if it continues in this fashion? If not and the problem has been fixed it would be nice to keep a respectable speed rather than falling back into ADSL2+ territory. I know the previous occupants had a much higher speed than 18.8mbit with another provider.

CJ, yep everytime this event appears the connection comes back slower each time..

Thanks

Ben

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

The circuit is in sync at 18 Mbps, so nothing we do on our side can change this I'm afraid. Have you tried rebooting your router? I notice the connection is still 9 Days, 23:45:57 (on going).

If this doesn't help and you've tried plugging your router into the test socket, explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 then the next step would be to arrange an engineer.

benfphillips
Grafter

@Anoush

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Ah ok, no worries. Next would be to arrange an engineer. I'll work your fault ticket for you tomorrow.
benfphillips
Grafter

Thank you!

Enjoy your evening.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks Smiley I've updated your ticket for you now. If you let me know on here once you reply I can get the engineer booked in for you.

benfphillips
Grafter

@Anoush I've accepted the terms and answered the questions. I work from home so the earliest available appointment works for me.

benfphillips
Grafter

@Anoush

Script User - Automated Script Pool
3:08pm, Thursday 23 Mar 2017

The broadband fault has been closed by the supplier. Should problems re-occur, please restart the Broadband Fault Checker.

Is that normal to see?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No, I accidentally closed the fault report on our suppliers systems instead of accepting the request for an engineer. (My fat fingers). Just re-raising it now, I'll confirm your engineer appointment within a few moments. Apologies for that.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Engineer's booked in for the earliest timeslot available, 27th March PM.