Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costant speed decline because of crosstalk

FIXED
riccardo2
Grafter

Costant speed decline because of crosstalk

In the years I've seen a costant speed decline at the master socket. Despite I've tried to cope in every way possible (even with a 30cm shielded cable) there is nothing to do because it's outside the house. In 2016 I had this

https://www.speedtest.net/result/5483810162

now the sync speed is below the guaranteed minimum speed. The guaranteed is 44 but I now have a sync of 42down/16up. I've never open a troubleshooting case (apart few days ago because the line was missing completely) because I scare they will fix the guaranteed speed lowering the upload just to be on the safe side of the law, while I actually like a high upload at the expense of a lower download.

In any case, I know I can't expect much from a Plusnet/Openreach intervention unless this is intentended to change something in the street cabinet.

Mine is P68:

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=495544&postcodeloc=15387&cabinet=P68

and I'm amongst the few ones on P68 that are not marked as 300M. How does this work? I mean, I'm closer to the P68 than others 300M-enabled and despite that I strive to get 50. Any chance to be moved on a better DSLAM (?) to get a speed more adequate to the advertised Plusnet Fibre Extra?

Kind regard

69 REPLIES 69
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Costant speed decline because of crosstalk

The availability of up to 300Mb on that CodeLook website probably refers to the availability of Virgin Media cable and has nothing to do with the capability of your FTTC line.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @riccardo2,

As @ejs has advised the 300+ speed is for an FTTP product that is not available on the BT Network for your line. A copy of your line check is below (from BT DSL checker). This is either that you're too far away, or it's Virgin/Non BT network services. Plusnet do not offer FTTP at the moment anyway even if it was available. 

As you noted, on the observed speeds it looks to have dipped from your previously recorded speeds in 2016. Initially, I'd say that was over 2 years ago and line speeds will change with time, and congestion - especially with fibre services. I've run some line tests anyway and there's nothing obvious that would seem to indicate a reason, but there's little we're able to do from a company perspective without going down the faults process which you've hinted you're hesitant to do at this stage. 

riccardo2
Grafter

Hi Ejs and Jolo,

thanks for the reply.

I thought that the P68 cabinet could only manage FTTC so I tought it was finally the GFast technology (that can actually runs up to 330mbps on copper).

but there's little we're able to do from a company perspective without going down the faults process which you've hinted you're hesitant to do at this stage.

It's not bad enough to risk to end up with a worse final scenario Smiley

In this situation I doubt opening a "fault" could increase from 42 to 50+ as I had in 2016... am I wrong?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @riccardo2

Ultimately, if your line is syncing below the estimated range on your estimates I would always recommend raising a fault.

We'll always persue a case when your line isn't achieving expectations.

Hopefully it will get resolved, the only case where we would cease investigating an issue is if the supplier confirms that the service level is not attainable.

Generally this is quite rare.

If you raise a fault, let us know and we can get it picked up sooner for you.

riccardo2
Grafter

I've not raised any fault yet but I think it's time because it's getting much worse.

From this on 2016: https://www.speedtest.net/result/5483810162

to this now: https://www.speedtest.net/result/8411020211

The BT wholesale test returns:

37.12 download, 9.13 upload

Download speedachieved during the test was - 37.12 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-40.77 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 40.77 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 9.13Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

There are the figures of the lower contact (Unlimited fibre, not the Fibre extra).

The phrase " IP Profile for your line is - 40.77 Mbps" catch my eye because I have Unlimited Fibre Extra and
my contract minimim guaranteed speed is 44, and the line should actually attains around 48, not only because in the past the same line was going at 51 and even more, but also because the router itself says in this moment "attainable 48".

If the line can't be fixed, basically I'd better go with the "Unlimited Fibre" at least I save some pounds.

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ7xxxxxxx
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 28/02/19
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 35 days, 12:07:23
6. Data rate: 15885 / 42116
7. Maximum data rate: 15371 / 48645
8. Noise margin: 5.9 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation: 22.0 / 16.7
10. Signal attenuation: 21.8 / 16.7

And there is no much SNR margin to play with... at least with this modem-router.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @riccardo2,

Let us know please once you've raised the fault from here so we can progress it for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
riccardo2
Grafter

The Bt Wholesale test is a bit rubbish though... the download speed is OK (always lower or 1mbps compared to any other test online) but the upload speed they says it's around 7 and 8, but it's not actually that bad, actually is 14.

What should I do? Give them the btwholesale data or the other ones?

riccardo2
Grafter

Let us know please once you've raised the fault

raised.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Thank you for raising the fault @riccardo2,

We would ask you to use the btwholesale speed test please if you can so the speed tests can be submitted to suppliers system for us to view once we get to work on the fault.

Please run the BT Speedtester service at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics.  Please type in your phone number and click run diagnostic test.  This will run a test and send the results to the server for investigation.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@riccardo2 You are better off downgrade to 40/10 or ask PN to put u on 55/10 if all possible

riccardo2
Grafter

Yes, I've also made a couple of test from here http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and sending the data with phone number.

However the btwholesale test is quite worse than any other test on the planet. Particularly it gives me 8.8mps upload when actually I'm  I have around 13/14. I am sure of that not only because any other tester shows that, but because I've tested myself uploading a huge file: the average is 13/14 not 8.

The btwholesale test is OK only about the download speed that is actually between 38 and 40.

I've tested all the major 10 testers making 4 tests each, plus, I've made a more rude (but more reliable) test downloading some huge files from Microsoft, Ubuntu, Apple, with aria2c and 14 parallel chunks reaching the top sustained speed of 39mbps, in one case 40mbps.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

What browser are you using? I don’t know if it’s been rectified but it used to give funny results with some. It’s known to work with Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

riccardo2
Grafter

I'm always on Linux and sometime on Windows only for some app development, so my main browser is Firefox (standard and dev edition). Both report the same result.

I've right now tested on Windows 7

1) Firefox:  39.04/9.04

2) Chrome: 38.40/7.58

3) IE9: not working

4) Opera: 39.28/7.51

Windows 10

1) Edge: 37.12/8.86

2) IE11: 36.88/8.82

Linux

1) Firefox: 37.76/8.82

So it's pretty consistent: it doesn't work in any browser/OS! Grin

The download is OK but the upload is not. I'm sure it never goes down 13mbps.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8419353755

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8419386346

Ofcom tester: 38.6/14.0

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Thanks for reporting the issue @riccardo2.

I have updated your ticket here, please get back to us when you have had chance to review this and reply.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team