cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct installation?

deefadog
Grafter

Correct installation?

Hi all, i have recently been upgraded to Fibre.
My speed has increased from 3.5mb to 7mb! - Now this post is not about my slow speed but the possible reasons why.
When the installation was done, the guy just turned up, Plugged in the modem and router to my existing telephone socket and left!
I was under the impression that he should have change the actual telephone socket? would this have an effects on my speeds?
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Correct installation?

What type of master socket do you have ?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
Is the modem connected to the master socket, or an extension socket?
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I was under the impression that he should have change the actual telephone socket? would this have an effects on my speeds?
he should have fitted a new faceplate to the socket. If the modem is connected to the existing socket without a filter then it WILL affect the speeds.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deefadog
Grafter

Thanks,
I'll have to check my socket type when I go home! Although it was not set up to the master socket! It was on one of the other sockets as we live in a town house and the master is by the front door with no power near by - will this also effect it?
The installer (kelly services) never asked me any questions he just turned up and was gone in a flash! Awful customer service!!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It was on one of the other sockets as we live in a town house and the master is by the front door with no power near by - will this also effect it?
Very possibly!. It depends on the standard of wiring between the sockets.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

@deefadog - There's a more over-bearing issue here in that your profile wasn't updated following your provision. I have just changed things around now. Are you ok to let me know if this improves things?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
deefadog
Grafter

Thanks Matty no improvement yet! Should I reboot the modem?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Reboot the router not the modem that should do the trick as long as all is well.
deefadog
Grafter

Cheers! i'll try that when i go home!
deefadog
Grafter

Ok, got home and i rebooted the router, no difference.
I plugged in ethernet to the router to my iMac and the speed was the exact same as wifi.
I have a LJU socket as the master socket, but as i have said it's plugged in a normal socket upstairs via an ADSL filter(as before).
Any ideas? should i reboot the ADSL Modem?
deefadog
Grafter

Any updates on what i can try next guys?
I don't like paying for a service i am not receiving, although Plusnet have been faultless for the lat 5 years, so i have some confidence!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line is currently synced at 7.8Mbps on the download, so until that improves you won't see any improvement in speedtests. There's no obvious faults showing that would cause this so I'd suggest allowing our faults team to finish looking in to this to see what they come up with.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
deefadog
Grafter

Thanks Chris, so can i assume all is good on my end?
deefadog
Grafter

Well this takes the biscuit! So much for looking after your customers -
"As per my message,I have completed testing on your line today which has shown that the speed is below estimate for the line. I can see also that you have raised concerns in regards to the installation completed.
In order to progress with your fault we wish to arrange for an engineer to attend the property.
Please reply to this message with three available timeslots for an engineers visit. The available timeslots are weekdays either AM ( 8AM- 1PM) or PM (1PM-6PM).
Please note that if a fault is found to be caused by your equipment, internal wiring, or caused as a result of damage to BT equipment, a charge of £50 will apply.
If the engineer finds the fault to be within the boundaries of your property, the engineer will demonstrate to you where the problem exists and we will add a one off fee of £50 to your bill. The same fee will apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel the appointment within 48 hours of the engineer visit time. This charge will appear within 90 days of the engineer visiting your property."

So you not only want me to take more time off work (Because you can't work weekends or after 6), but if there is a fault in my property when you did the installation then your going to charge me £50 for the pleasure! You have to be joking!