cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cordless phone interference

csh1
Hooked

Cordless phone interference

Does anyone know of cordless phones that will not interfere with wifi? we have hub one router with 2.4 & 5G... we moved router further into bungalow via long cable through the attic, however its still connected to master socket and now the router is even further away from phone base unit, but everytime we make a call the internet cuts off and router flashes until  call finished

13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Cordless phone interference

Welcome to the forums @csh1 . I suspect, but can't prove without further information, that it is not the phone itself causing the issue, but rather that you have a dodgy line. If you dial 17070, option 2, do you hear any noise on the line?

My phone and router are maybe a metre apart, but I have no problem.

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@csh1 wrote:

Does anyone know of cordless phones that will not interfere with wifi?

<snip>

everytime we make a call the internet cuts off and router flashes until  call finished

I would agree with @jab1 that it's unlikely to be the phone.

So it's the internet connection which is failing, rather than interference to the Wi-Fi?

It sounds like a classic missing or faulty filter problem.

Words are so easily misinterpreted, so if you post a photo of your master and any other sockets it will be easier to offer further assistance.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
csh1
Hooked

Thank you both for your replies, i have tried the line and its fine. Have plugged in an old corded phone which works ok and does not interfere with the wifi though?

jab1
Legend

@csh1 Just out of curiosity, what cordless phone you have? And, as @198kHz alluded to, have you tried replacing the filter?

John
csh1
Hooked

Yes i Have changed the fiter.. the phone is  panasonic kx‑tgk220e ,, i admit they are old but i keep reading to try 1.8 ghz phones and thats what they are..My husband wonders if its because the extension cable in the attic is now in the house where as before it went to the master socket through a wall to the garage.Problem seems to be worse since we moved the router even though still connected to master and further away from the phone.We had to do this as even a wifi extender would not give a signal in the corner of our bedroom, we are in  a bungalow..

jab1
Legend

So, if I read this correctly, your master socket is in the garage? How long is the cable from the master socket (which type?) to the router? The shorter any extension cable, the better, btw.

You Panasonic phone is very old - have you considered getting a new one? Almost any phone on the market today would be an improvement, and it could be the case that some internal component is failing, emitting undesirable interference.

John
csh1
Hooked

Yes that is correct..Unfortunately the extension cable had to be 30m,, its MainCore 30m Long White FLAT ADSL High Speed Broadband Modem Cable RJ11 to RJ11..the reviews on it were good..i have thought of a new phone but didnt want to pay out if same prob.

jab1
Legend

I'm no expert on cabling - @198kHz might have more thoughts on that - but your phone could be the culprit, they do degrade/fail over time.

John
csh1
Hooked

Thank you for all your advice,

Regards

Carins

csh1
Hooked

Hi,we used this cable to run from master socket, could it be the culprit?  MainCore 30m Long White FLAT ADSL High Speed Broadband Modem Cable RJ11 to RJ11 ?

Thanks 

jab1
Legend

@csh1 I still think your old phone may be the culprit - do you know how old it is? This is reinforced by you saying the corded phone appears to rectify the problem.

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@csh1 wrote:

Hi,we used this cable to run from master socket, could it be the culprit?  MainCore 30m Long White FLAT ADSL High Speed Broadband Modem Cable RJ11 to RJ11 ?

That's one helluva good antenna for picking up all kinds of interference, quite apart from cordless phones!

It would be better if it was proper twisted pair cable, not flat, but they don't seem to be available at that kind of length.

I'd be inclined to run an unfiltered extension from the master to somewhere near the router.

Can you provide a detailed description of the master and associated connections, or ideally a photo?

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Meanwhile...

A further thought.

If you have, or can borrow, another microfilter, it might just improve things if you double filter the phone ie two filters in series. No harm done if it doesn't work.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)