cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract does not mention upload line speed.

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Contract does not mention upload line speed.

I have just renewed my contract by online chat and it all went quickly and smoothly - thank you.

Just one thing though, as I read through my new contract there is a specified line speed (download) of 32.4 - 40 Mbps which is fine but nowhere is there any mention of my upload speed. I am currently on a 40-20 (although I think it should really be 40-10) profile but normally achieve around 7 Mbps upload. I don't want to find myself suddenly reduced to a 2Mbps profile and have updated my ticket (#143159360) to that effect. I'm now in the 14 day cooling off period so I don't want to let it drag on at all and am seeking some re-assurance that this won't happen.

15 REPLIES 15
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Contract does not mention upload line speed.

This has been well documented several times 😞
Its actually hidden on PN home page , the legal bit .
But its also shown when you follow contract update on web page, if you did over the phone it may be a mistake by the agent 😣
I belive if you are on 40/20 then recontract same connection you stay the same not reduced
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I thought everybody on 40/20 had been migrated to 55/10?
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Finding info on PlusNet site invariably defeats me. I base what I say on BTW test site which at the moment is reporting a partial error i.e. not returning the profile information. I have just tested on there and got :-

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 36.48 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 6.67 Mbps

which is in line with my usual results. I know that all 40/20 customers were supposed to be changed to 55/10 but according to BTW test results, mine hasn't changed for a long time now and when it runs fully it always shows a 40/20 profile. Possibly being changed has never been an issue for me (and I wouldn't object to it) because I can't get over 40 download and have never achieved anything over around 8Mbps upload. I do occasionally upload sizeable files though and being reduced to 2Mbps would be a deal breaker for me.

I'm stuck with another 6 months of LRS and if I have to cancel my renewal I'll just have to accept the £5 per month extra it's going to cost me until I start looking around.

p.s. I'm not saying it has happened yet, I'm just wary because of what has happened to other people and will cancel if I can't be sure it won't happen to me.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Browni wrote:
I thought everybody on 40/20 had been migrated to 55/10?

Not everyone!Wink

longedge
Aspiring Pro

I've had to cancel my renewal Sad.

My ticket was updated to say the product I had contracted for is 40/2 no alternative and no assurance that I won't lose the ~7Mbps I currently get.

I've got 6 months of LRS left after which I'll probably be off.

When I rang to cancel the renewal just now, the agent tried to tell me that my profile probably wouldn't be changed anyway but I can't see any 'probablies' in the contract. I don't want to get a few weeks down the line and suddenly find my uploads starting to crawl it would be too late then to do anything about it.

I suppose that I'm unlucky to be in that minority of customers to whom upload speeds occasinally matter. At least I've got 6 months to get ready for a move.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

@rongtw wrote:
I belive if you are on 40/20 then recontract same connection you stay the same not reduced

Not the case apparently. It appears that any new contract is 40/2 take it or leave it.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@longedge There have been several cases here on the forum where staff has intervened and placed old customers back on the profile they were on , before upgrading .

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Yes, I've seen that happen myself *but* I'm not happy relying on the off chance that someone might repeat the 'favour'. The ability for support staff to help customers is constantly being undermined as far as I can see, who knows whether it would happen again and I prefer to have an assurance up front.

It feels to me that PlusNet don't want me as a customer. I just wanted to renew my contract for another 18 months and be assured at the outset that my VDSL wouldn't suddenly be crippled.

I'd rather have the £5 per month in my pocket but that isn't the issue for me so I've cancelled and I'll pay the extra £5 for 6 months when my LRS runs out.  I'll see how the land lies then. It gives me time to have a good look round anyway

longedge
Aspiring Pro

More care should be taken when support tickets are being reviewed by support staff to ensure they understand what has been said. My ticket has just been returned to me after an update and it says:-

"I am very sorry to hear that you are wishing to cancel your account. If you still wish to stay with us then please give us a call on 0800 432 0200 to speak with our technical team to see if we can take a look into the speed issue you are experiencing."

I have replied and said:-

"I am *not* experiencing any speed issue!

I wanted to renew my contract and be assured I would continue to get the same speeds that I am currently receiving *both* upload and download. I consistently get around 37Mbps download and around 7Mbps second upload. I do not want to be downgraded to 2Mbps upload and you have stated that this is the only speed that you are willing to provide me with on a renewed contract. It is for that reason alone that I have cancelled my renewal."

I don't think I can put it any more clearly than that. Plusnet used to sell a product which I am on and now refuse to extend my contract on the old basis - feels like, "we no longer want your business".

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Anoush

Could you please get someone to check out @longedge 's account as it seems that someone in CS "may" have set wheels in motion to cancel his account? Which is not their intent.

Thank you.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks SpendLessTime. I have added a further comment to my support ticket:-

"N.B. You will note that I have 6 months of LRS left and my decision as to whether to leave PlusNet is something I'll be reviewing only when that has run out. In any case I would not close the account as I believe that might invoke cease charges. If and when I decide to leave it will be by transferring to another provider in the normal way."

longedge
Aspiring Pro

I feel as if I am unknowingly speaking in a foreign language. The ticket is back again:-

"Thank you for your message. Lets try to get to the bottom of your speed issue, the speed that you are explaining you are getting is this with a wired connection or a wireless?

Thank you for your patience in this matter."

My reply:-

"OK - I'll try again to explain.

I have **NOT** got a speed issue.

I got an email to say my next payment was due for £22 odd. I always pay £17 odd. I queried it and was told that my contract had expired and so my discount had expired. I negotiated a renewal at the same price I have been paying hitherto.

When I received the confirmation details I saw that the only speed that was mentioned was that for download and no mention was made of upload speed.

Ever since I moved to VDSL I have always got around 7Mbps and I became worried that I might be switched to a 40/2 profile and so I asked for confirmation that this would not happen. The answer to my query was that my new contract would in fact be on a 40/2 profile with no option to stay on the profile that I am currently on. I do not want that and that is why I have cancelled my **RENEWAL**.

I just want to stay as I have been up until now but you say that is not on offer.

I have paid my LRS for another 6 months and so for those 6 months I will stay as I am but without the discount I previously had when I was under contract. At the end of my LRS I'll have had time to look around and I will make a decision about what I am going to do."

I'm hoping that I have explained myself clearly now.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Not only do they make it possible you will leave in 6 months time by not offering a sensible package, they then seek to make that almost a certainty by absolute muppetry in the responses on your ticket! I keep thinking Plusnet must start to turn things around and improve, but no, every week we see something more stupid than before.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
longedge
Aspiring Pro

I can easily forgive one person misunderstanding a situation and getting it 'wrapped round their neck' - I've got a long history of doing exactly that myself Roll_eyes.

What I consider unforgiveable is the fact that a substantial change to my service nearly occurred and I would have been tied in to it for 18 months and this would have been done, as I see it, in an underhanded, secretive hidden way. It is morally indefensible to make binding contracts with people when you are deliberately hiding what, to some people, is an important part of the contractual terms.