Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuing speed problems

Davemorris1951
Grafter

Continuing speed problems

Good morning,

I'm still having continuous speed problems with my fibre. Ever since I signed up I've not been getting anywhere near my lowest estimated line speed and it's still awful, my current line speed and ip profile according to bt wholesale speed test is only 12.6meg (yes that's a wired connection).

Can someone at plusnet please look into this for me? Check my line? Reset my ip profile etc?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
14 REPLIES 14
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Continuing speed problems

Have you reported this as a fault?

If not, I suggest that you run through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults It takes a bit of your time and costs you nothing, but makes Plusnet aware of your issue, they have to look at it, and gets the issue into the queue for action. The idea of connecting to the master socket is to remove any effects of internal wiring problems; you would need to connect the laptop to the hub with a wired connection to remove any wifi effects.

Davemorris1951
Grafter

I've just spoken to someone on the online chat and they say there's a fault on the line which has been passed on to the correct people, so I guess I'll see what they say
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Thanks for letting us know. Come back here if your speed doesn't improve.

Davemorris1951
Grafter

Hi all, 

Just a question really. Ive just plugged the router into the test socket of my master socket 5c (first time ive been able to get tyhe faceplate actually off to test this) and on the router stats it says that max rate downstream is now 33684, whereas with the faceplate on it was around the 18000 mark. Can i just ask what this means and how this may be affecting my speed issue? The router is still in sync at 13095 and according to the BT wholesale speedtest my line IP is still 12.09mbps. I'm going to have to put the faceplate on as my sky box is connected to the other phone socket which has now currently been cut off so it currently has no phone connection. 

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It sound that you have an old Master Socket, and not a new filtered one, and that your internal wiring is causing a slow down on your speeds. If an Openreach engineer comes to investigate they will no doubt replace the socket and your speeds should improve. If you leave the router in the test socket, the IP profiles will improve - possibly overnight.

But why are you connecting your Sky box to the phone line? There is no requirement after the initial install. An internet connection would give you replay options on newer boxes, a phone line nothing!

Davemorris1951
Grafter

Hi there, 

Thanks for your reply. The master socket was replaced in nov/dec when this issue first started but i dont believe its a filtered faceplate, just a regular one connection in. I wasn't aware that a sky box doesn't need a constant phone line connection, i thought it had to always be connected in case of updates etc. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

You have got a filter plugged into the extension socket that feeds the Sky box haven’t you? This is essential. 

If yes then try putting the front back on the Master socket and do speed tests with the Sky box both plugged in and unplugged. This will determine whether it is your wiring or Sky box that’s causing the speed reduction.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Davemorris1951
Grafter

Hello, I didn't have a filter on the extension box as the last openreach engineer we had visit us told us it wasn't needed. But I've just put a filter on and the router is now saying max rate around 22600 so that's an increase from no filter of 18000. I've unplugged the sky box and this doesn't seem to affect it, but obviously it's not stating the speed it was when plugged into the test socket, which was 33600.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

So the set up doesn't like your extension wiring. What I would do is replace the front of the master socket with a filtered faceplate. The one you need depends on the age of the master socket. The latest has a clip on front section. This web site shows the options https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/searchresults/?search=Vdsl+faceplate. Once you decide which style you want you can shop around but make sure that it is a VDSL one.

Having got the filtered faceplate wire your extension into the the non VDSL terminals (labelling might vary).

If that doesn't work I would replace the extension cable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear your speeds are lower than expected.

Let us know how you get on after the engineer visit.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Davemorris1951
Grafter

Thanks very much for the advice. I was wondering, if I keep my router for the moment plugged into the test socket, will it sync at a higher speed?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

It may do or it may not do. If it's the physical state of the line holding the speeds back then you won't see any improvement until the engineers checked it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Davemorris1951
Grafter

Just an update, my filtered faceplate arrived today, I popped it into place and I seem to be getting the same speed now as I was getting through the test socket, so I'm connected at around 33mb, success! And I'm obviously now able to use my other phone extension again, so extra bonus, seems that changing the faceplate to a filtered one was all that was needed.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Glad to hear your new faceplate has helped your speed Dave. Let us know if you have any further issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet