cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continually Dropping Connection- Plus net "Hub One" Router

fredatkinson

Continually Dropping Connection- Plus net "Hub One" Router

Hi,
We've been with Plusnet for a couple of months after moving into a new home. To be honest, getting the service up and running has been a bit of a nightmare- with Plusnet cancelling the order twice and not informing us. We've finally had the service live for around 2-3 weeks, and when we're connected, the speeds are fairly good. We're on an "Unlimited Fibre Extra" contract.
The one problem we're having is that the router keeps dropping our connection, and we have to keep restarting it (which does temporarily rectify the problem). I'm probably having to restart the router about 5 times a day. It shows red with the broadband light illuminated. After a restart, it'll sort itself out for a short period of time, before dropping again.
I've gone through the various steps, swapped equipment, checked the phone line etc to no avail. I've got a Hub One- so no Openreach Modem installed.
Probably worth mentioning that I've logged this as a fault with Plusnet, but they wanted to send an Openreach engineer around, which is something I'd really rather not do. I've already had to take several days off work to get this installed, and don't believe the fault is an Openreach one- and so wouldn't want to be liable for the callout cost.
I've got a Netgear N600 that I can try. But I was just wondering whether there was anything else I should try first? I'm guessing the N600 can't totally replace the Plusnet Router- as it isn't VDSL compatible?
Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!!
Fred,
27 REPLIES 27
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Continually Dropping Connection- Plus net "Hub One" Router

Sorry to hear you're having issues.
Our tests have showed a "Impairment in copper joint detected most likely close to customer premises"
This would need a engineer visit to fix I'm afraid as it's likely to be fault with the line.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
fredatkinson

Hi Matthew
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly,
Ok then- thanks for clarifying. Will pursue that- and update once we've had the site visit.
Cheers,
Fred
fredatkinson

Hi- just to update.

We had an open reach engineer attend site last week, who confirmed there was nothing wrong with the wiring in our flat, or to the cabinet. She also said that if there was an issue with the writing, we would see the speed drop, rather than this intermittent cutting out of service.

Having said this, the issue has persisted and the service is continually dropping out. I raised this in the fault with Plusnet, but rather than acting upon it. They simply closed the case. So nothing has been resolved.

I strongly suspect the router is the issue, as the service appeared to be live for 2 days while my partner and I were out of the country, but as soon as we got home yesterday- this issue started again. Over the course of an evening we've had to restart the router 8 or 9 times.

If I'm honest, I'm really disappointed in the level of service from Plusnet. We've been customers for over 2 months and as of yet don't even have a usable internet connection. I would be very grateful if someone could respond on here.

Fred 

raycrowe
Hooked

I have exactly the same problem which started when I upgraded to fibre optic broadband. A replacement router was deemed the answer but problem still persists. I made a request to Plusnet to return to my old contract but told it would cost me £300! to cancel my current contract. Absolutely terrible customer service. Looking towards legal assistance/consumer advice to challenge.
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Hi raycrowe,

If you are using a Plusnet Hub One and you connection is dropping, then please see this post written by bobpullen - click this

You can read the opening post on the above thread - Click here

From reading this topic that fredatkinson started, it does appear that he may have been correct in that there is a now known issues with these hubs.

fredatkinson

Hi raycrowe...

I feel your pain. For me, after months of Openreach visits and phone calls with PN, my original suggestion above of a replacement router sorted the problem. Sorry sounds like might not be the case for you... good luck with it!

nholler

Hello,

I too recently upgraded to PlusNet Fibre from PlusNet Broadband. Since using the PlusNet Hub One router I have found that my Lenovo G580 laptop keeps disconnecting from the WiFi every 20 minutes. This never happened on the old PlusNet broadband router. I have to switch the airplane mode on and off to fix the issue which is very annoying, especially when paying more for a service and the router provided isn't up to scratch!

I thought it may be a Windows 10 driver issue, so reverted back to Windows 8 - still the same issue.

I've tried changing the channels on the Hub One as per PlusNet's advice - still the same issue.

I've since purchased a TP-Link Modem Router (Model No. TD-W9970) from Argos for £30 and the issue is now resolved, the internet hasn't disconnected from the Lenovo laptop since.

I think the PlusNet Hub One Modem Router isn't great quality and therefore you may want to try another Modem Router to fix the issue.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Hi @nholler

I've not looked at the spec of the router you've suggested, but the PNH1 has 2.4Ghz and 5GHz capabilities.

Some new PC's/Laptops etc have both too... The default setting regarding the wifi on the PNH1 can cause the issue you describe.

The workaround is to split the 5GHz. If it's something you want to try in the future, pop back and I'll show you how.

philbot

Hi there,

I just joined this community to add my experience with this problem.  First off, I am a software engineer and I also have a bunch of cisco networking certificates, so I'm no dummy when it come to these things.  OK, so I am having this same issue.  My own experience was that it was uploading that was causing the dropouts, basically my offsite backups - dropbox, amazon, etc.  Checking the router advanced settings showed that the DSL link was always up and stable, so it couldn't possibly be an OpenReach problem.  My guess was the router was at fault.  Searching the internet for forums like this showed that it was people on the 40/2 package having the issue, 80/20 customers were mostly unaffected.

I spoke to customer support who assured me it wasn't the router and 80/20 customers were also affected.

Some weeks go by and I phone back.  "The problem is with our network team.  We don't yet know the cause, so can't offer a fix date"

Some weeks go by and I phone back (yesterday).  "The problem is with the router and is only affecting 40/2 customers.  The router manufacturer is developing a fix (2-3 weeks) which we will then roll-out to customers (another 2-3 weeks).  That's no good, I said, and squeezed them for an upgrade to 80/20 for the price of 40/2, on the grounds that the service they were providing wasn't fit for purpose.  They agreed (just threaten to leave).

tl;dr?

• The problem is with the router
  • It only affects 40/2 customers
  • The fix is about 6 weeks away
  • This is [-Censored-] and you should squeeze PlusNet for 'good-will gestures'

Good luck,

Phil

sandrataylor51
Grafter

Is there anywhere in the Hub One router that logs the length of time it has stayed connected or how many times it has dropped the connection and reconnected ?

I have looked in the event viewer and am not sure which one I should be looking at.

sandrataylor51
Grafter

OK I found the DSL uptime in the Help Desk part under Troubleshooting and so far it seems to have not dropped since installing it on Wednesday afternoon so maybe it will show a reconnection in there if it drops the connection later.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Go to Troubleshooting -> Event Log and from there, from the drop down menus select WAN.

You can also see when the hub rebooted via the Boot option.

sandrataylor51
Grafter

Thanks for that DS Smiley

Is it the PTM over DSL  is up  that shows it has rebooted ?

DS
Seasoned Champion

It doesn't mean it's necessarily rebooted, it's just that the connection (DSL) is up (connected or reconnected)

A reboot would be shown as:

08:47:29, 28 Feb. ( 15.100000) System start

Or if you manually reboot the hub, then you'd see this:

18:45:09, 22 Mar. ( 15.770000) System start from GUI

The time your connection drops would be something like:

12:31:52, 06 Mar. (531603.410000) PPPoE is down after 8857 minutes uptime [Disconnected]

And if you see this event, then it's the upload bug causing the connection to drop:

12:31:52, 06 Mar. (531603.440000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [PPPoE PADT received]