Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual intermittent dropped packets

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Continual intermittent dropped packets

@NoZephy your TBB test is the same as mine Sad  https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Odd-TBB-test/td-p/1393324

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

So it sounds similar to @SteveA who got packetloss during imar time window and slow speeds, rather than it being slow one minute and then fast again.

I think for steve they turned off interleving and increased the snrm (but I might be blurring two people together!!)

Best thing to do is run the btw Speedtest 2 days in a row at the peak time, including test3, that stores the poor performance in btw Then raise the fault with plusnet, when they run their tests they should see the results too.

Hopefully they can do the same as they did for steve or btw can move you to a different svlan,that took me from similar problem you had to max speed at peak times again
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I was getting a small amount of dropped packets most of the time and then noticable drops between 4 and 10pm.

Engineer came in and replaced the series 1 master socket with one of the new ones and the resistive difference is now 1.1 ohms. Not sure what the SNR is. They removed interleaving and put the top speed back up

Reconnected and got a totally useless PN gateway. Disconnected and got a better one.... Speed is as good, if not better, than it was before, min latency has dropped by about 5ms and packet loss went away....  until 6am this morning when I had a huge number of dropped packets and my min latency went up a bit:

ill.pngBi

BT engineer basically said that everything is right where it should be - 33 down / 7 up when you're about 700 metres from the cab is good. I'm pretty sure the packet loss is NOT the connection - its either the PN router OR its something in the PN infrastructure. Oddly enough engineers previous call had been to another PN customer reporting similar issues. but they were having the problem in the morning.
MrSilver
Pro

It looks like it could be a disconnection or a late DLM run, for a small increase in latency followed by a short outage that would appear like a full height red line, just for a short duration so the average may not appear total loss for that period. 

Has your speed changed at all?

SteveA
Pro

speed hasn't changed..... but then again I'm only getting 33-36 off a 40+ line so I guess the top could move down without me noticing.

scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@NoZephy

I've checked yours and it is showing the SVLAN is Green with no known issues.  Worth continuing down the faults route instead.

NoZephy
Rising Star

Sorry but I'm leaving PlusNet for AAISP, I thought the praise they were receiving was a slight over exaggeration but it really isn't.

I emailed AAISP last night, in a couple of hours they've given me more information than I've ever got from PN in my 2 years of being a customer.

It's pretty sad that I have to rely on an ISP that I'm not even paying, to properly answer my queries and give me reasonably detailed info.

tuirxq

Again, sorry, but it seems pretty coincidental that AAISP have acknowledged there is an SVLAN issue at my exchange which causes packet loss and according to you the SVLAN I'm on is green? If it was green and presumably "good to go", why am I still getting packet loss at evening times only?

MrSilver
Pro

There are multiple svlans out of an exchange. Some will be green, some amber and some red. So just because aa have a user that is red doesn't mean you are.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I think the best approach is you ask Plusnet outright if they can tell you the ID of the SVLAN you are on.

One of 2 things is happening...

1) You are on a problem SVLAN and that is what is causing the packet loss.

2) You are not on a problem SVLAN and something else is causing your packet loss.

Given AA's email, you would think it would make scenario 1 more likely. If Plusnet can't give a definitive answer, you will most likely know come March 3rd. If scenario 1 is what is happening, your issue will be resolved no matter which ISP you are with on that date. If it is option 2, AA may be more helpful in sorting it.

No simple answer unfortunately.

SteveA
Pro

TBB showing some lost packets (tiny little red blips) BUT running MTR to their ping box shows no losses.....

scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@NoZephy

Sorry to hear you are wanting to leave to another ISP.  The information they have provided to you is correct.  Worle has 10 VLANS supplying ADSL and ADSL2+ services, of which the one they have reported to you is up for an infrastructure upgrade early March.

For Fibre, your circuit is routed from WORLE to WESTON-SUPER-MARE, where the VLAN infrastructure is different on what BT call SFBB rather than IPSV.  There are 35 Fibre VLANS serving WESTON-SUPER-MARE, of which only one shows an infrastructure upgrade is required in early March.

Your VLAN is Green as I previously reported and is SFBB00017089. 

Although your VLAN shows Green, it does not necessarily mean all is good to go.  Perhaps at peak times, the VLAN is heavily utilised and BT just have not noticed at this point.

As I suggested, raising a fault is the best way to move forward on this and ask the agents dealing with your fault case to check with BT on the VLAN utilisation at peak times.