cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual intermittent dropped packets

allenjamieson84

Re: Continual intermittent dropped packets

almost looks like a picture of grass, the sky and the sun thats melted

also im experiencing the dropped packets, i checked filters etc, found the filter to be smelling of burning (also copper was a greenish color) looks like it may have somehow fried? removed that as i have a filtered faceplate (cheers BT Man) but still experiencing packet loss, not as much but does affect my VPN to work (just get kicked off)

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/83deac905fecb48895332fa36361b7e3.html

Maxam
Grafter

There we go, 11pm and the speed shoots from 10mb to 30mb. Something is wrong.
allenjamieson84

I thought Plusnet done traffic management up until 11pm (read it somewhere and can't find it again to back myself up)
rca212
Dabbler

Hi Bob,

most of the time there's nothing even connected  (just a raspberry pi so I can get the graphs from thinkbroadband)

When I'm actually online and using my connection the graph looks slightly better.

I don't wish to come across as a moaner, my download speeds seem fine,  

but I occasionally play PS4 games online and I've barely been able to connect for the last couple of months

zombies
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Apologies for potentially hijacking this thread - (If I should create a new thread - let me know) but I'm also suffering from intermittent issues with my Fibre service.
It's been going on around 3-4 days now, it seems mostly ok - some websites take a little longer to load than usual - but they do load eventually.

What I've really noticed is spikes in loading or any kind of online gaming.

I thought it was entirely related to the issue with the Southbank gateway, so disconnected the router yesterday around midday and reconnected it, now on the Colindale gateway.

However, I'm still getting issues - my PC is cabled into the router (not wireless) and the router is less than 1ft from the master socket. The cables all look fine and the throughput of the line is as expected (23.5Mb/1.8Mb) - so it's not a speed issue.

It almost seems as if there is packet loss but intermittent - I don't have a tbb graph yet, I've registered and set-up the monitor so am just waiting for it to fill with data.

There have been no changes to the router firmware, PC operating system or anything in between since all this started and as far as I can tell, it's not REIN-related as it's far too random.

herojan
Grafter

Colindale is worse than southbank, avoid both, if you can.
zombies
Grafter

I rebooted the router and got sent back to Southbank. Should I keep disconnecting/reconnecting to avoid these gateways or can someone at PN forcibly put me on another gateway?

My only concern with disconnect/reconnect is that it will hurt my IP Profile and line stability (perhaps).

The other thing is having to enable PING from WAN so the TBB monitor can actually record data - not sure if enabling PING from WAN is safe or not, I've always kept it disabled as a matter of course.

herojan
Grafter

You shouldnt need to reboot the router, just disconnect and reconnect your PPP connection, this keeps the connection with the exchange but reconnects to plusnet.

What router do you have?
zombies
Grafter

I have an Asus DSL-AC68U - latest firmware.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

allenjamieson84 wrote:

also im experiencing the dropped packets, i checked filters etc, found the filter to be smelling of burning (also copper was a greenish color) looks like it may have somehow fried? removed that as i have a filtered faceplate (cheers BT Man) but still experiencing packet loss, not as much but does affect my VPN to work (just get kicked off)

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/83deac905fecb48895332fa36361b7e3.html

There's no evidence of packet loss on that graph Huh

@Maxam wrote:
There we go, 11pm and the speed shoots from 10mb to 30mb. Something is wrong.

I'm not sure this is going to be the product of any packet loss. Are you able to provide any evidence to suggest packets are being lost (traces, external monitors etc.)? If not, then might be an idea to keep the reduced throughout observations to the other thread here.

@allenjamieson84 wrote:
I thought Plusnet done traffic management up until 11pm (read it somewhere and can't find it again to back myself up)

No, there's no additional management in place during the evening. It was the case in the past, but isn't nowadays.

@rca212 wrote:

Hi Bob,

most of the time there's nothing even connected  (just a raspberry pi so I can get the graphs from thinkbroadband)

From where I'm sat, something doesn't look right though. Average response time of your router (or rather the Raspberry Pi?), is over half a second! I suspect the Pi is struggling to respond to the ICMP probes in a timely fashion, or it's doing something else at the same time that's hogging resource. Is it connected via an ethernet cable?

Host                                         Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. 192.168.1.254                              0.0%    71    3.9   4.2   3.6  14.2   1.4
 2. lo0.central10.pcn-bng02.plus.net           0.0%    71   12.3  12.8  11.7  19.3   1.4
 3. 411.be6.pcn-ir02.plus.net                  0.0%    71   13.2  13.1  12.3  15.7   0.5
 4. ???
 5. ???
 6. 75.213.9.51.dyn.plus.net                   0.0%    70  616.6 620.4  51.2 828.6 269.1

zombies wrote:

It almost seems as if there is packet loss but intermittent - I don't have a tbb graph yet, I've registered and set-up the monitor so am just waiting for it to fill with data.

Can't see anything obvious so it'll be interesting to see your graphing.

@zombies wrote:

... not sure if enabling PING from WAN is safe or not, I've always kept it disabled as a matter of course.

It's pretty safe, as long as it's only ICMP/PING responses you're opening up.

@herojan wrote:
Colindale is worse than southbank, avoid both, if you can.

People will find this increasingly hard over time.

Any issues are definitely not across the board. Speaking personally, I'm on pcn-bng02, there's no packet loss on my TBB monitor and I was able to download at full line capacity (~73mbps) for a good couple of hours between 6pm-9pm last night.

My Broadband Ping - Halfway - Staff

If your issues are specific to throughput/download speeds rather than packet loss, then it's worth sticking to the other thread to avoid muddying the packet loss investigations.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

zombies
Grafter

@bobpullen wrote:

Can't see anything obvious so it'll be interesting to see your graphing.

I'll post the graph in approximately 24 hours, that gives it a full day and may mean more than if I post it with just a few hours' worth of data.

@bobpullen wrote:

It's pretty safe, as long as it's only ICMP/PING responses you're opening up.

My router calls it 'accept PING replies from WAN' - so I assume it's only ICMP it's opening up, everything else (except for a few port redirects - to support some online gaming) - is sealed shut.

168bill
Grafter

Hi @zombies

I also have an ASUS DSL-AC68U and opened up the Firewall to respond to pings without any following security issues.

I'm on Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_4026.

Go to Firewall settings, General Tab and change 'Respond Ping Request from WAN' to 'Yes', then 'Apply'.

Re your earlier post, you don't need to reboot your router to try and change Gateways.

Just go to WAN Settings, Internet Connection Tab and select 'Edit PVC' against your current connection. Change 'Enable WAN' from 'Yes' to 'No' and then click OK. That will drop your Gateway connection but not your Exchange connection. Wait 30 secs, then re-enable it and hopefully you will get a different Gateway.

For me, this works most times, but sometimes it takes  2 or 3 attempts before I get a different Gateway.

Hope you get sorted OK.

rca212
Dabbler

From where I'm sat, something doesn't look right though. Average response time of your router (or rather the Raspberry Pi?), is over half a second! I suspect the Pi is struggling to respond to the ICMP probes in a timely fashion, or it's doing something else at the same time that's hogging resource. Is it connected via an ethernet cable?

I don't think it's anything to do with the raspberry pi - the following was run on a Windows 10 desktop connected by ethernet. Wireless is turned off at the router level and nothing else plugged in.

C:\Users\rod>ping bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.79] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.246.79: bytes=32 time=980ms TTL=54
Reply from 212.58.246.79: bytes=32 time=3584ms TTL=54
Reply from 212.58.246.79: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=54
Reply from 212.58.246.79: bytes=32 time=451ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 212.58.246.79:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 85ms, Maximum = 3584ms, Average = 1275ms

As you can imagine, online gaming is impossible with a connection like this.

168bill
Grafter

Hmmmmm.........

Thought things were all OK again till this afternoon when unfortunately my home had a short power outage, which off course meant the router got rebooted.

This graph is interesting:

My Broadband Ping - MyPlusnetFiberConnection

Until the power outage just before 2pm, I was still on gateway pcn-bng01 at Colindale. As you can see, I have been getting a good service there.

When power came back about 2.30pm, my router came back up OK and the WAN was reconnected, but I could get no internet access. So, didn't bother checking which gateway I was on, just reset my PVC and things started working.

Checked and I was now connected to pcn-bng02 at Colindale, but as you can see above, I was getting erratic latency issues and some small packet loss again.

So at around 4.45pm, I reset my PVC again and connected to pcn-bng03 at Colindale.........didn't wait any time there, but reset my PVC again and was pleased to come back up on pcn-bng01 at Colindale, where I have now left things to see if I get back to the same quality of service I had before the power outage.

This once again makes me think that different PN Gateways route you through some very different quality network paths..........be interesting to see how things look after a while back on pcn-bng01.

zombies
Grafter

This is what I have at present - I was on Southbank but the router reconnected itself to Colindale (pcn-bng03) - I don't know which Southbank gateway it was at start.

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet

This is making online gaming difficult at best, sometimes it's ok and sometimes it means the responses to my actions are a few seconds ahead of my actions - in short, I'm hitting 'fire' and that action doesn't happen for a second or 2. Not good.