Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual intermittent dropped packets

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Continual intermittent dropped packets

@ Malcky actually simple turn off everything for a night/couple of nights if intermittent and see if it clears it up, if it doesn't then more likely a connection issue unless you live next door to one of those cover their house in xmas lights crazies.  If it does clear up, turn on one electrical item each night and find the culprit, it just takes time.

So tree lights, first thing to turn off at this time of year

FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

@Malcky wrote:

Are you saying that other plugged in devices around the house can affect an internet connection? or at least the packet loss/errors a line gets?

If so, that is like a needle in a haystack trying to pinpoint what appliance could be causing hassle.

Yes, that is exactly true! 

That is why when you do diagnostics Plusnet will always want to try to get you to put your modem in the master socket and connect your PC via a LAN cable. If your modem is a long way from your master socket, then buying expensive shielded cable can reduce interference significantly, I've seen line sync go from 55 to 75mb by using expensive cables to stop in house noise.

The amount of interference and noise in a house is quite large, especially on wifi interference (put your modem near a microwave and turn it on and see what the 2.4ghz microwaves do to your 2.4ghz wifi!)

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/knowledgebase/broadband-understanding-rein-and-shine is an interesting read if you are interested more in it (esp. the flashing Christmas tree lights bit as we are getting near there!!)

Thanks

MS

Malcky
Grafter

Wow....thanks for the link Mr Silver, the youtube video on that link showing a AM radio tuned to 612Khz was an eye opener to say the least.....shame I don't have a radio, but might get one just for the fun of doing that test around my house.

My modem is only a foot away from the master socket and then its cat6 cable around my room to the Apple router.  Its not shielded cable though.

davenos
Rising Star

@bobpullen The reason i posted in this thread about my slow peak hours speeds is because its linked to the recent packet loss issues, the slow down started when the packet loss reappeared and cannot be down to exchange congestion as a neighbour 3 doors away who is a Plusnet customer does not get the slow downs.

Last night we tested both of our connections, im on the southbank gateway and he is on the colindale gateway(despite the gateways supposedly being Geographic), he has no slow down and no packet loss while i have no packet loss(at the minute) yet slow downs, if i drop session's i cannot get a different gateway yet my neighbour does, he managed to drop sessions and get on the southbank gateway and instantly lost 30% of throughput, another drop session saw him back on the colindale gateway and his throughput returned to normal.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@davenos wrote:

@bobpullen The reason i posted in this thread about my slow peak hours speeds is because its linked to the recent packet loss issues, the slow down started when the packet loss reappeared and cannot be down to exchange congestion as a neighbour 3 doors away who is a Plusnet customer does not get the slow downs.

There's nothing to say you're not connecting via different SVLANs. Your neighbour having zero issues does not unfortunately rule out exchange contention. 

Last night we tested both of our connections, im on the southbank gateway and he is on the colindale gateway(despite the gateways supposedly being Geographic)

It all depends on which of our networks you're both provisioned on, how your IP address is being assigned, what account type you have etc, what temporary routing we might have in place. It's not necessarily geographic for everybody.

He has no slow down and no packet loss while i have no packet loss(at the minute) yet slow downs, if i drop session's i cannot get a different gateway yet my neighbour does, he managed to drop sessions and get on the southbank gateway and instantly lost 30% of throughput, another drop session saw him back on the colindale gateway and his throughput returned to normal.

I'm not refuting there may be a problem somewhere, but I don't think it's best suited to this thread. The symptoms are dissimilar enough for me to think the two problems (or at least their causes) are unrelated. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kendo79
Dabbler

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                         router.asus.com -    1 |  305 |  303 |    2 |   10 |   97 |    4 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |   63 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|      137.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk -   99 |   63 |    1 |    0 |   24 |   24 |   24 |
|              be3-3104.psb-ir01.plus.net -    1 |  305 |  303 |    8 |   27 |  313 |    9 |
|       core1-BE1.southbank.ukcore.bt.net -    1 |  300 |  297 |    8 |   27 |  309 |    9 |
|       host213-121-193-203.ukcore.bt.net -    1 |  301 |  298 |    8 |   26 |  312 |   13 |
|       t2c3-et-7-3-0-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net -    1 |  300 |  297 |    7 |   26 |  309 |   10 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |   63 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|        ae5.dar02.lon02.networklayer.com -    1 |  300 |  297 |    0 |   28 |  311 |   12 |
|       po2.fcr01a.lon02.networklayer.com -    1 |  300 |  297 |   10 |   28 |  309 |   13 |
|           speedtest.lon02.softlayer.com -    1 |  304 |  302 |    8 |   30 |  389 |   10 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Problems have returned again the last couple of nights. this is to a server in london.  

Maxam
Grafter

What a surprise, Twitch is buffering again tonight thanks to packet loss. Why can't this problem get sorted?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@kendo79 wrote:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                         router.asus.com -    1 |  305 |  303 |    2 |   10 |   97 |    4 |
|      137.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk -   99 |   63 |    1 |    0 |   24 |   24 |   24 |
|              be3-3104.psb-ir01.plus.net -    1 |  305 |  303 |    8 |   27 |  313 |    9 |
|       core1-BE1.southbank.ukcore.bt.net -    1 |  300 |  297 |    8 |   27 |  309 |    9 |
|       host213-121-193-203.ukcore.bt.net -    1 |  301 |  298 |    8 |   26 |  312 |   13 |
|       t2c3-et-7-3-0-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net -    1 |  300 |  297 |    7 |   26 |  309 |   10 |
|        ae5.dar02.lon02.networklayer.com -    1 |  300 |  297 |    0 |   28 |  311 |   12 |
|       po2.fcr01a.lon02.networklayer.com -    1 |  300 |  297 |   10 |   28 |  309 |   13 |
|           speedtest.lon02.softlayer.com -    1 |  304 |  302 |    8 |   30 |  389 |   10 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Problems have returned again the last couple of nights. this is to a server in london.  

The second, third and eighth hops are expected behaviour. The remaining 1% loss that's end to end starts at your router suggesting an issue closer to home. This trace isn't really indicative of a broadband network problem Huh

@Maxam wrote:

What a surprise, Twitch is buffering again tonight thanks to packet loss. Why can't this problem get sorted?

Are you still experiencing problems, and if you are do you have any diagnostics/monitoring you can share that shows the packet loss?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

kendo79
Dabbler

Yes I noticed the local problem after I posted this, I had a dodgy cable that was causing the issue,fixed now.

Gus
Aspiring Pro

If a fix has been tried for my connection it didn't help any, tonight 5th dec on  psb-bng02 my live graph http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-large/8dec7cf519beda3b43f06c9508b6ab21.png, started at 7pm

edit still exactly same at 10.50am 6th dec

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Gus, we've kicked you over to Colindale which looks to have helped. We're investigating a low-level packet loss issue at Southbank (ref: 96302) that looks to have started yesterday tea-time.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Maxam
Grafter

Now my speed is very slow during the evenings, around 7pm I'm getting 10mb then at 11pm it's up to its normal 30mb.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

@bobpullen had a power outage earlier so can add psb-bng01 to that ticket, back to the old school gateway hopping

rca212
Dabbler

So I'm at the point now that my problems started at the same time as most others (late October), but I've seen no real improvements. The packet loss I was experiencing has reduced, but at the expense of ping times and this nice blue graph.

My Broadband Ping - rca212 2nd dec

It's been about six weeks since I first logged a fault and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That blue graph doesn't look synonymous with any of the issues we've seen to date. I think something else is happening there. It looks to me like you're saturating your Internet connection.

If I trace to your IP, all the increased latency is at the final hop (your router).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team