cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual intermittent dropped packets

Slobcat1337
Grafter

Re: Continual intermittent dropped packets

9 page mega-thread - it's definitely on plusnet's end. Don't buy any new hardware!!
TheHorseman
Rising Star

The last big thread on packet loss was 86 pages and 1279 posts long and covered a couple of months. At that time I had packet loss typically hitting 40-60% and sometimes spiking higher. I have had packet loss this week though small, it is there, this time it is intermittent. I currently have none at all but will it last... I'm not too bothered, as in just over a week I am away from this shower. I fully expect that most if not all of my current net problems will vanish when my migration completes.

Kritya
Dabbler

Well, good to know that this is a common occurrence. Glad I only have to deal with it for this year of university. 

PlusNet going to be going on to my blacklist of ISPs never to go with. I guess it extends to BT as the server is at ukcore.bt.net. I considered the service from Virgin where I'd get a day with literally no internet for a few hours a couple times a year "bad". But they were always transparent with their issues and resolved them quickly so in hindsight that was me being unrealistic. Issues happen, but the lack of communication and the length of the problem (this is my 4th day (thurs-sun) with the issue) is something that I would expect from a first problem of a startup company, not from a branch company of BT. On top of the fact that this apparently happened less than half a year ago (and has happened to a more severe extent) is just too much. My trust in the company has been shattered, only been using their service for 2 months.

Also, some advice PlusNet. Make an update post about the issue, I have a sneaking feeling the disappearance of CSOs from the forums is likely due to them being swamped with phone calls about the issue. Making a post about it will reduce the number of those calls, saving a lot more time than it takes to make the post. Going into silence mode unless someone calls you is a really bad way to deal with a problem.

sdenning
Hooked

Add myself and the friend who referred me to Plusnet to this list. The last week has been horrendous. Packet loss in the 20% region and raised a support query about it.
CarrowCanary

Wait until midnight, they said.

Well, midnight's come and gone, and here we are.

Dulrzr7.

0rangecake
Dabbler

6 and a half hours after my guild's raid am I finally not getting any packet loss. I'm genuinely wondering if service was this bad before BT bought PN.

sdenning
Hooked

Mine seems to stabilise during the day and then deteriorate in the evening so will test later as I'm on 3% loss at present (down from 23%)
orangeman
Grafter

which is down to the amount of users/bandwidth used at the time

Slobcat1337
Grafter

If it's a network capacity issue we have some real problems... No easy fix to that!!
Kritya
Dabbler

Last time I saw a network capacity issue was from virgin when they went mad doubling everyone's speeds. It caused a lot of throttling, but no packet loss. Lasted 13 months I believe before things stabilized.

orangeman
Grafter

well mine is worse at peak times, whats everyone else's exp?

benmango
Dabbler

Just to add, I've been having these issues for many months and bought a new TP-Link Archer VR200 router two weeks ago in the hope it would fix them (I had tried asking Plusnet to send me a new HH to replace my Technicolor but they weren't having any of it whilst I was out of contract - brilliant customer service hey?). Anyway the new router, whilst providing much better wifi coverage in the house has not actually fixed the ping and lag spike issues everyone else here has been subjected to. It's infuriating and only occurs to me consistently in the evening (usually 10pm-midnight ish when playing FIFA / Rocket League / BF4).

Thankfully the router was a second-hand bargain so I can sell on to recoup my losses, but it's still really frustrating that the issue is clearly with Plusnet and they won't do anything.

BTW which websites are people using for ping tests, etc? I haven't done one yet and would quite like a visualisation to show the g/f so she doesn't think I'm completely mental getting so worked up over this Grin

Nalwoir
Dabbler

I joined Plusnet back in September, unfortunately did not hear about any of these issues. Very quickly, my perfect fibre connection that both Sky and Talk Talk had provided without issuestarted showing severe packet loss and random disconnections. I then found out I would be moving in a few weeks, so decided to see if a new connection at the new property would make things better.

Boy was I wrong! Packet loss much higher, online gaming and streaming during peak hours is almost impossible. A 40 minute show requires about 6-8 re-connections. I will raise a ticket when my 10 day line testing period is over, and if this is not resolved completely within 4 weeks I will be beginning arbitration to switch provider without cancellation charges. This is not acceptable.

JamesDaGames
Grafter
Fixes: 2

@benmango

You can use either sites or software for ping tests. I'll outline some for you

1. Doing traceroutes via the command prompt (such as tracert google.com)

2. Using Pingtest.net

3. Setting up a thinkbroadband ping monitor (www.thinkbroadband.com/ping)

4. Using software such as WinMTR or PingPlotter (I personally use PingPlotter, although the free version only shows you 10 minutes of data).

Hope those help you.

Have a good day Smiley

benmango
Dabbler

Many thanks James, I'll give those a try later tonight.