cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual intermittent dropped packets

Downtheloo
Dabbler

Re: Continual intermittent dropped packets

That's a pity, it certainly avoids a lot of other issues, so I thought I'd just suggest it.

Slobcat1337
Grafter

@Browni huh? You're basing that off a cross section of users who've posted their ping monitor? How could you possibly make that assertion based on that limited source information? Tech support said they've had calls all weekend about it. Clearly is a large portion of the user base....
Kritya
Dabbler

So the tl;dr here is:
Server at southbank has been screwed for a while.
Plustnet know about the issue.
Expected to be resolved by midnight tonight, source: customer service 
Absolutely zero communication about it outside of individually calling them.

With how badly it's being handled, you'd assume PlusNet was a new startup.
I feel the need to clarify the above, it's about communication. By not being open about the issue on their website, it's increasing the amount of calls they're receiving.

shevek
Grafter

Its not just Southbank though. I just had the same ~20% packet loss from Telehouse West this evening. I've now bounced onto City Lifeline House and all is well. For now.

Slobcat1337
Grafter

Yeah the southbank server is broke. I've only been with plusnet for a couple of months and I think it's they're a terrible
ISP. How they think it's acceptable for a fibre service to experience upward of 20% packet loss is pretty laughable. I'm having a better experience Gaming on my phones 3G network. That's embarrassing...
webdev
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Is there anyway of selecting the gateway? No matter how many times I reboot the router I end up back on southbank.

0rangecake
Dabbler

This is an absolute joke. I literally can't do anything, even Twitch buffers constantly. Am I supposed to watch television like some kind of savage????

good_honest_broadband.png

Element
Dabbler

26eae44741c0aa3fc81e7cfaa8f5a4f3

I can't even get off my gateway because every time I restart my router, even waiting 5 mins before turning it back on, I'm on the exact same IP address despite having a dynamic IP.

Slobcat1337
Grafter

Yeah I can't change gateway for love nor money either! It's so bad! What are we paying for???
davenos
Rising Star

@0rangecake I wish i could join the savages and watch TV but all my viewing is done via the internet, im in the middle of a house and office rebuild and as such im living on a narrow boat at the bottom of my garden that has no aerial and i can't get a satellite dish fitted just yet.

My connection is that bad my NowTV,Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions are useless and i can't even stream Youtube at 144p without buffering.

I never thought i'd say this but i miss my old DVD collectionSad

jamie3000

What an absolute joke. I've spent the whole day trying to fix my 20% packet dropping connection, assuming its my end because I just assumed that a good company would update their status page or their twitter if there were problems. Ugh, not cool.

jstallan
Grafter

I'm also affected. Managed to get onto

You are currently connected to gateway pcl-bng01.

This is located in City Lifeline House.

But will have to wait to see if it's better

ade_r
Dabbler

I've just suddenly got packet loss halfway through a round of Battlefield 2142 in the last hour or so. It came out of nowhere after a couple of connection problem warnings in-game.

My ping is around 32ms, but a pingtest is reading between 15-20% packet loss - which is enough to make online gaming impossible.

The Which Gateway tool is telling me I'm on Colindale point of presence.

I had the same problems earlier in the year and contributed accordingly to the megathread, I was put on a static IP which fixed my problems, but that's now not helping.

nbk
Grafter

Quick question, has anybody had router disconnects intermittently? Especially on southbank?
I ask because I've been connected to PSB-BNG01 for the last couple of months (and it gives better pings and throughput than PTW-BNG01 or PCL-BNG01) but every day since thursday it's been dropping the connection completely where the router has to reconnect. (I use a huawei openreach modem which doesnt appear to drop connection).

Is this issue related? I have also seem intermittently high pings on occasion but for the most part it's been fine.

Additionally sometimes when it disconnects the router repeatedly tries and fails to connect for ~5 minutes or so...which doesnt seem like a specific gateway issue...so I'm not sure.

Slobcat1337
Grafter

I've been having the same disconnection problems you've mentioned on the southbank hub!! Tried telling the tech support this and they were clueless to any issues on the gateway!