Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual intermittent dropped packets

webdev
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Continual intermittent dropped packets

I'm now getting the same issues. Started a couple of days ago. Big lag spikes when gaming, 10-20% packet loss when testing using WinMTR. Is it worth raising a support/fault request rather than just posting here? Forums are easier to ignore than logged issues...

Raikou

same here, getting alot of packet loss making it almost impossible to play games, but ping stays stable and down/up is fine.

Slobcat1337
Grafter

I've just been on the phone to tech support and they do
Appear to know about it, I'm not entirely sure they have any idea how to fix it or what the actual root problem is.

Just a FYI even if you're in a contract, if you raise a fault
That they are unable to fix in a reasonable time limit, you can break the contract early. If this isn't fixed by next week, I'll be doing this. I also suggest everyone having the problem puts complaints into ofcom.
acemathias
Dabbler

Add me to the list of people with continual dropped packets.

Have the 55mbps, 10 mbps fibre product.

Use a D-link DIR 868L Router.

Tried to check gateway and got this message:

"Sorry, the tool failed to identify your gateway; this does not mean that anything is wrong with your connection.

Posting the following information as a reply to the Gateway Checker Issues topic in the Community forums will help us to diagnose the problem.

• core2-hu0-18-0-0.colindale.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.16) 4.198 ms"

Here is my live ping graph:

2eaa541aa6bc63750cd9e060847d73f1

Additionally for record here is a particularly disturbing capture from  19/11/2016: 

9098e599cea25778bbe5315870ad18de-20-11-2016

davenos
Rising Star

@Slobcat1337 When it comes to breaking your contract due to an ongoing/ non fixed fault you have to allow Plusnet a reasonable amount of time to fix the issue and that is roughly 8 weeks, before Ofcom get involved you also have to follow the full complaints process that Plusnet have otherwise Ofcom won't entertain your complaint.

My connection is far worse today than yesterday, my throughput is down to 3.1mbps downstream and 0.2mbps upstream with packet loss sitting at 50-60%. Im going to monitor it over the next 72 hours and if no improvement is made i will put in a formal complaint over the service as im not going to put up with this again, 10 weeks it took last time and im now not convinced that fault was fixed and that i just didn't notice it as much due to not using the connection during peak times(and if that is the case then its been going on for nearly 4 months).

Slobcat1337
Grafter

8 weeks? do you have a source for that info? That's not reasonable at all...
davenos
Rising Star

@Slobcat1337 The 8 weeks i mentioned is down to the procedure required to leave during a minimum term due to a fault, in order to do so you would have to log the fault and give Plusnet time to investigate and attempt to fix it, if that fails you would have to lodge a complaint and outline your wish to have your contract cancelled. This whole process can take around 8 weeks depending on the fault, and if you want to report the matter to Ofcom you have to follow the full complaints procedure and that can take as long as 8 weeks depending on the back and forth that can happen.

Slobcat1337
Grafter

I think we need to give plusnet some sort of incentive to actually fix the problem... Kinda get the impression they don't really care?Huh
drunkmunky
Hooked

Just came off of the phone with Plusnet. I had the problems from a couple of months ago, was bad for a solid ~8 weeks and then complained, got my free month and then one day it was fine. The problems came back last week and I let it go hoping they had learnt from last time, but it carried on and today I had enough.

Fortunately we have something to work off - the guy who answered quoted 2 weeks at most to sort the problems. 3 weeks of packet loss isn't great, but at least I have a time frame now (no matter how whimsical it is).

Slobcat1337
Grafter

Good to know. This is clearly an issue effecting a large portion of the user base. i think the more people who call them, the more they'll have to take notice.
Downtheloo
Dabbler

Have any of you tried using Google DNS? In Network Connections->Properties->TcpIp set 8.8.8.8 as the primary and 8.8.4.4 as the secondary.

webdev
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Just finished a chat session with support.

"ahh right i'm sorry about that xxxx we have an issue with our servers right now which is making packet loss issues"

"we expect to have it fixed by midnight tonight for you"

Fingers crossed

Bob1
Rising Star

@Downtheloo wrote:

Have any of you tried using Google DNS? In Network Connections->Properties->TcpIp set 8.8.8.8 as the primary and 8.8.4.4 as the secondary.

Yes - I've had it set on the router for weeks/months (it's not a PN router).

Sadly, it doesn't do anything for the packet loss issues.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Further back in this topic I linked to a page containing a lot individual ping monitors and only 2 were affected then, hardly a large portion of the user base.

Raikou

"Just finished a chat session with support.

"ahh right i'm sorry about that xxxx we have an issue with our servers right now which is making packet loss issues"

"we expect to have it fixed by midnight tonight for you"

Fingers crossed"    

Really hope this works im dying xD