cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual intermittent dropped packets

plusmore
Grafter

Continual intermittent dropped packets

I am getting continual dropped packets showing on TBB and f8lure. Can anyone shed any light on what might be happening and how I resolve it? I am using a TP-Link Archer V900 combined VSDL Modem/Router. The results I am seeing are

tbb.png

f8lure.png

385 REPLIES 385
ginourie
Dabbler

Re: Continual intermittent dropped packets

I am getting similar when on games, only happens like 3 times in 1 hour but it is a massive loss spike. Not really stable enough for gaming.

plusmore
Grafter

In my case this is happening all day long even when there is no-one at home

ginourie
Dabbler

I assume mine is also but i have no way of monitoring as i use the standard pn hub.

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Was wondering previously why Youtube was buffering even though it had enough bandwidth.

Seems like it is the typical packet loss at it again Undecided

9d6467f5e8d29d993c8b6d4680bd7520

Seems to have started from the 26th of October when I did a manual reboot.

2d9f3d8b12e7ca507ce2d4f09758b028-26-10-2016.png

Tracing route to ntp.plus.net [212.159.6.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
2 12 ms 12 ms 11 ms lo0.central10.pcn-bng01.plus.net [195.166.130.248]
3 14 ms 13 ms 12 ms 411.be5.pcn-ir01.plus.net [84.93.253.67]
4 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms cdns02.plus.net [212.159.6.10]

Trace complete.

Toast3000
Dabbler

Hello,

I'm seeing the same behaviour as above.

My connection overall is stable but I'm seeing minor, noticeable issues with packet loss and latency spikes. It's particularly prevalent in latency sensitive applications like gaming or voip. It started Tuesday or Wednesday this week for me.

I saw a similar issue earlier in the year and it was down to a network migration. At that time I setup a static IP address and the issue went away as, from my understanding, static IP customer were still on the old network.

Could the migration now be hitting static IP addresses?

Thanks,

Toast.

Edit : My TBB for reference

72f4a7efc8b358e2bae311f9b884ca5d-30-10-2016

kendo79
Dabbler

I've been getting the same thing the last week or so, I put it down to that massive hacking attempt that happened but that has past now and I'm still getting massive latency spikes in games up to 200-300ms out of nowhere. I've mostly been detecting this through in game latency measures as  I've ran winMTR a few times but they show as no dropped packets or only 1% at certain plusnet servers.

If I am watching youtube or a stream at the same time that will be disrupted as well as the game at the same exact time, and skip at the same point.

Latency becomes much more stable after 11pm and during off peak times. It's pretty unplayable otherwise. Had this same issue a month or two ago in that megathread that I posted  in as well but that got closed. It had seemed to improved but back in force now Tongue

ginourie
Dabbler

Pretty annoying if it is the upgrade. I moved onto a static IP as the loss from the upgrade without the static IP was affecting my work!

Toast3000
Dabbler

Hi all,

Just to check in again, this problem continued, so I tried something.

I removed my static IP (which doesn't matter to me much anyway), this put me on a 147. dynamic IP from the static 80. and the problem instantly went away. Must be a fault with a part of the network they route static IP customer's through at present.

Anyway as proof check my pack loss free ( no red along the top) tbb graph over the last day

21990d5364a196b143758cced791d53f-03-11-2016

Thanks,

Toast.

Edit :  Just to add, be aware I have no idea if this will work for you.

mtwbath
Dabbler

There still seem to me major problems with PlusNet's network -  there is a large number of different post on here under different headings  - PlusNet keep denying there are problems . I have moved to a different supplier and am pursuing  through arbitration etc   

ginourie
Dabbler

Thanks for this Toast, it is really useful. A bit annoying though as i said i moved to a static ip previously to stop the loss from the dynamic i was getting. Clearly they have now fixed it in dynamic routing and are now updating the static routing and getting the same issues :@.

plusmore
Grafter

Well I don't know what PN did but after I raised a ticket and they checked the line (finding nothing course) I had a packet loss spike at 6pm on 2nd Nov after which the intermittent dropped packet problem suddenly went away. I have only had one or two hiccups a day on my line now. Not convinced that some sort of routing problem or dodgy cable somewhere wasn't the issue.

Sweeney47
Dabbler

I appear to be getting the same issues mentioned above... I've noticed a few spikes over the last week or so but it has been much more noticeable today with frequent spikes in ms while gaming normally sits at 18, but spiking to 200 (with 1-2 second freezes) before resetting...

As mentioned above, I switched to a static IP to solve latency issues I was having with WoW but it seems nowhere is safe from this now! Be interested to hear if non-static is best way to go now as mentioned above as I don't particularly want to be on one it was just the hotfix available at the time...

Worth noting I'm also only getting 2/3s of the speed I should with download rates around 6mb/s (plus the additional drops lower) rather than my usual 9...

orangeman
Grafter

as above i was moved to a static ip due to the packet loss and now i have been having the packet loss again, noticed it today in games with 1-2s delays of ppl teleporting around me.

Have just removed my static ip on the hope it helps and rebooted the router for the ip to change

Sweeney47
Dabbler

Just to add onto this. Removed static IP, restarted router and saw an instant improvement. My download speed went from 2.5-6.7mb/s to a fairly steady 8.9mb/s.

Is this going to be my life with Plusnet, a merry dance from one hotfix to another? Shall be moving ISP as soon as my contract is up at this rate...