cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual disconnects - Speed seems ok

LAWMAN
Hooked

Continual disconnects - Speed seems ok

Over the last few weeks I'm getting frequent, sometimes as often as every 3 or 4 minutes disconnects.  The problem seems to be getting worse.

I have a Plusnet hub (ie no separate Openreach modem) that is connect to my PC via ethernet cable.  The fault I submitted now has advice to change the wifi channels but I'm 100% certain that isn't the issue.

An engineer attended and this was the update to the ticket:-

Engineer has resolved the fault located at the D-side including aerial cables / lead-in / block terminal.The fault was located outside the end customer's curtilage and shown by soot / blackened wire / cable.The fault was fixed by clearing on block terminal.

Moments after they left, the connection dropped out again and currently it's so bad, well, I've been trying to post this for the last hour!

This is making life very difficult for my wife and I as working from home is difficult with a stable internet connection.  Can someone, anyone, offer any advice on what the issue might be?

3 REPLIES 3
grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Continual disconnects - Speed seems ok

Sounds like Plusnet may need to get OpenReach out again.... The original problem *may* not be fixed or there may have been more than one issue.... Did he test the line whilst you were there?

If there's more than one device that loses connection then I suspect you're looking at the OpenReach cabling, and possibly any extension cabling you may have... Have you tried plugging the router in the test socket  to eliminate any extension wiring issues? (normally PN ask this before OR attend)?

Has the router been reset (switched off, wait a few minutes then on) since the fault was "fixed"?

If the device you / your wife are are using is connected by ethernet cable to the router, the wireless channel should make no difference to that. An easy test you can do yourself is to eliminate the ethernet cable and port by changing to another (ideally known good Ethernet cable) and see if that makes any difference. Also, change the port it plugs into on the router if the cable change didn't work.

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hi @LAWMAN

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about problems with your broadband. I can see that line is dropping a lot in last few days. Please expect contact from us within few hours so we will be able to arrange engineer visit.

Please accept apologies for this inconvenience.

LAWMAN
Hooked

An engineer visited again on 26/06/2020 and the problem seemed fine for a while but I've had continually disconnects over the last few days.

Can anyone offer any ideas?  I can 100% rule out a software issue.