cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contanst UDP flood attacks from Plusnet Network

ranson

Contanst UDP flood attacks from Plusnet Network

Since upgrading to "Fibre unlimited" I get daily trace routes from an IP address in Plusnet followed by UDP floods. Sometimes the IP address varies by a digit or two and today I have Google flooding me as well as Plusnet. (Usually Plusnet address is hitting me on port 443). It makes a total nonsense of having faster Broadband if we can't get out. The Plusnet ISP customer firewall option does not filter it out and emailing the abuse email address seems to have no response having done that about three times over the months. I have an ordinary Eclipse Broadband thank goodness to fall back on and it has much better latency (Both with decent Vigor Routers on them). I just wondered if anyone else has such issues and whether they had resolved them. I have paid the extra Gaming Levy in the hope it might alleviate any contention issues but I understand Plusnet throttle the unlimited customers, is that true?

5 REPLIES 5
bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Contanst UDP flood attacks from Plusnet Network

Is the firewall in your router letting them through or is it blocking them?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

paid the extra Gaming Levy ??   do plusnet charge for Gaming , or do you mean the PRO add on ?

Which product do you have ? 

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ranson

Oh yes its is blocking them in that I have in bound rule for 443 traffic which is quite specific and a "catch all" bin everything rule But it is difficult to be sure nothing has sneaked through other than browsing my server logs and looking for failed login attempts.

ranson

Thanks for reply yes they have renamed it now to Professional VPN type user, that is what I have for precisely that purpose. The latency of the "high speed" link is quite an issue when typing on big Unix systems and nothing appearing on the command line leaving you wondering what you actually typed and whether you actually pressed ENTER at the end of it! With many Unix command being only 2 characters long and quite devastating if miss type!

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The google ones seem to be fairly commonplace and I get them too. Lots of web sites have scripted links to google in their pages and google picks up your browser request and tries to send you "helpful" content that you didn't actually request. Any reasonable stateful firewall will just drop them anyway, so I don't know why they bother but there we are. I also get them if I have an email tool open with a gmail account IMAP'ed. I regard them as harmless, though they do waste a small amount of my bandwidth.

Intrusion attempts from other PlusNet users, from our side of the PN firewall, are presumably from port scanners, or maybe from malware that people don't even know they have running. Does your firewall drop incoming ICMP?