cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly dropping slow internet??????

sisu
Hooked

Constantly dropping slow internet??????

Sick of this now, help anyone? Connection dropping usually several times an hour, checked speeds on a few different speed checkers and got roughly 15Mbps for both download and upload, then checked 5 minutes later and getting 65Mbps download 22Mbps upload....... all over the place but still constant connection drops on all laptops and pc's in the house, including games consoles and TV's, we are on fibre with the hub1 and this has been going on for weeks now, cant believe we are paying for this atrocious service, total joke!!!!

15 REPLIES 15
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Constantly dropping slow internet??????

Welcome to the Forum @sisu

I wasn't clear whether you were losing your connection to the internet or your wifi connection to the Hub was going down. Either way, I understand your frustration but Plusnet don't monitor connections and don't know that you have a problem.

I think that there are 2 lines to follow:

If you have a wifi problem: The Hub broadcasts on 2 frequencies. There have been reports that some kit gets confused and switches from one to the other, or even drops the connection. It might be worth separating the two signals and see if that helps. @bill888 has posted how to do that at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...

Again on wifi: Plusnet have some general advice at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

For line problems: I would run through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and then report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults It takes a bit of your time but formally makes Plusnet aware of your problem, they have look at it, and gets the problem into the queue for action.

Please let us know how you get on.

On a point of detail, no speed tester should be telling you that you have an upload speed of > 20 Mbps.

sisu
Hooked

Thanks for the reply, basically when we are on our laptops, pc's, game consoles etc we keep constantly getting messages saying no internet or lost internet connection, so we either have to keep reconnecting our devices to the internet or keep resetting the router when that doesn't work, this happens on all devices, everyday, several times. The blue light on the router never changes colour though? 

Yes yesterday on ookla speed test our upload speed was 22Mbps, just checked on another one and it happened again?

BrightonRock
Pro

I use Oooka and trust it. What service are you on? The fastest that Plusnet offer (so far as I know) as FTTC is 80/20 so I am puzzled that you were getting more than 20 upload.

This is a Hub 1? One can never be sure but, if the blue light is on, then It sounds like a wifi problem. Try separating the signals and see if that helps. It may not, of course, but eliminating that possibility may be worthwhile.

Let us know how you get on please.

sisu
Hooked

We are on the unlimited fibre extra package, not that we benefit by it....... And yes the Hub1, the blue light is always constantly on solid blue, just dropped connection about 3 times in 5 minutes, ill change the settings but not holding up much hope of it making any difference tbh.

sisu
Hooked

And here's the all to familiar sight we are constantly greeted with

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

From the evidence it looks more like a Wi Fi problem than a line problem.  Have you followed the links in @BrightonRock post #2 to help diagnose what is causing your problem.

Can you try connecting via a LAN cable on one device to see if the problem goes away?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sisu
Hooked

Hi, connecting what via a LAN cable, a laptop you mean? It affects every laptop pc etc in the house though

BrightonRock
Pro

Yes. But I think @MauriceC 's idea was that if the problem still appears on the LAN connection then it probably isn't wifi. Conversely if there isn't a problem with the LAN then it suggests that it is a wifi issue.

Sorry splitting the signals didn't help. It does sometimes although I should have checked first whether you were using both signals.

I still worry about that speed test. I doubt it is related to your problem but would you mind trying their direct website when you have a moment http://www.speedtest.net/

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes to rule out Wireless being the issue, it's a network cable also called Ethernet.

You should have had one with the router - basically test a device such as a laptop plugged into the router directly to see if it makes any difference to your connection (just on the laptop for now).

sisu
Hooked

Thats that 1 just, but its different every time I do one? Also thats on one signal only (2.4)

BrightonRock
Pro

Thanks for running that. At least the upload is within bounds. If you were running it on wifi (and I think that you were) don't worry too much about the lowish (or variable) download speed; you would need a wired (LAN) connection to be sure of what Plusnet are providing.

Can you try connecting one of your laptops with a wired connection to the Hub (as @MauriceC suggested) and see whether that loses connection please?

sisu
Hooked

Yes wireless, yes the download seems low but like I said, I could check it later and its 3x faster? In my router settings it says ive been connected for 4 days? Also earlier when we had to reconnect and brought up the available known networks it brought up our washing machine as a known network lol, (which had just been turned on but the connection was lost several times also before it was turned on)

BrightonRock
Pro

@sisu wrote:

brought up our washing machine as a known network lol, (which had just been turned on but the connection was lost several times also before it was turned on)

I had never heard of a washing machine with a wifi connection! Why would one need it?

I'm running out of ideas. You clearly haven't lost your internet connection when the Facebook connection drops but it might still be worth running using a wired connection.

sisu
Hooked

The washing machine can be linked with a smart phone and apparently it lets you know if any problems are occurring etc. I will try the wired connection when ive found the LAN cable in the loft, if the wired connection is all ok then what?