Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant line speed decreases

Saphira
Hooked

Constant line speed decreases

Hi

The fttc connection I am on has been steadily decreasing in speed over the last 8 months or so.

In August last year, it was fairly stable at 36/10, however by January it was down to 8/2 most of the time, peaking up to a max of around 20/5. Following an Openreach visit (or 4) the line speed went back up to a healthy 42/10, finally settling to 38/10 over the course of a month, and this stayed nice and stable all through February and March.

In the last 2 weeks, the line speed has dropped a little every day, going to 36 ,then 34, then 30, and now it is sitting around 20-21 / 5

According to the Openreach engineer, the max I would expect on this line is around 2-10 down and 5-6 up, as it is both low quality and damaged, however they are not interested in replacing/removing, despite the fact that the next door neighbours and the rest of the cul-de-sac have recently had a brand new line fitted and they can now brag of 72/20 speeds using bt's own ISP.

I really want to move my line over to Plusnet Business, and am all ready to do so, but at the moment, I don't feel that it would be the best option, especially if it will continue to slow down further.

Any advice is gratefully received.

all the best

David.

5 REPLIES 5
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Constant line speed decreases

Hi @Saphira, sorry to hear you're having broadband issues.

I've had a check of the connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as it is detecting a potential fault while syncing at 23Mbps, although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the speeds improve. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault to investigate further. Let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Saphira
Hooked

Hi there

The modem (bt openreach one?) is plugged directly into the test port on the master socket, and the socket and modem were replaced only 3 months ago with a 'new' one.

speed this morning was sitting at 23/6 but I had issues with the bt speed tester as it was giving me an error saying cannot test tap 3.

Thanks

David

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Thank you for confirming @Saphira,

As the sync rate is lower than the estimated speed a tap 1 and 3 test isn't required. Due to the equipment being connected to the test socket and the modem recently being replaced, I'm afraid an engineers visit is required.

I have raised a fault to our suppliers and on your account, could you kindly reply to the ticket with your availability for the visit here. Once complete, let us know on here so we can pick it up as soon as possible for you.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Saphira
Hooked

All replied to.

Thanks

David.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hello @Saphira,

Your appointment for an engineer has been booked for 01/05/2019 between 1pm-6pm due to low speed. You can monitor the progress of the fault through the above ticket. Please get back in touch on here if the appointment needs rearranging.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional