cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant dropouts, interference?

RichardPoll
Grafter

Constant dropouts, interference?

I've been having constant BB dropouts and fault report shows interference our end? Can someone clarify what I should be looking for that will cause this issue? Don't want an unnecessary £65 Openreach Bill

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name(s) removed from attachment (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Constant dropouts, interference?

1. Are you having this problem when your hub is plugged into the test socket (that's the one located behind the master socket faceplate) via a filter?

2. Have you tried a different filter?

3. Have you tried a different modem/router to filter connecting cable?

4. Have you tried a different modem/router?

If the answer is yes to all four then your £65 should be safe.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RichardPoll
Grafter

This is another Netgear router I had laying around D6220. I have fitted a new 5c faceplate today, changed routers RJ11 cable and unplugged all wireless devices and it's still dropping out. I have noticed it's worse when the trees are blowing around like mad but this doesn't explain how it's put down to interference on our property?
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Your first pic shows possible HR fault, and says to submit a fault, surely that is the first thing to get resolved.

It seems many GEA tests show interference, but in most cases it only causes minor if any issues.

Who is suggest that is the root of your problems?

RichardPoll
Grafter

Ive just noticed that it says fault location CE. Which to me if I remember rightly means the fault is somewhere from the PCP to the master socket so I'm not sure why it says it's on customer premises. I will book an engineer visit but I wanted to be sure that I'm not missing something obvious. I'm picking up a known working plusnet router tomorrow. That will then mean everything this end has been changed
Mustrum
Community Veteran

I refer you back to your first attachment!

That is the first thing that needs sorting.

But if you are going to ignore facts, and not explain the logic or information you then OK,  but wish you good luck.

Fault location CE to me would mean Customer Equipment. So providing you are testing from the test socket within the master socket, and you still get that HR fault then an Engineer is needed - however if you are getting that CE fault location and you are not in the test socket, then you really need to get the router into that test socket.

RichardPoll
Grafter

Ok.. I got a reply from plusnet stating that if the problem is found to be related to my equipment or wiring then I will be billed... that is a fact. Hence looking at all possible scenarios for the issue at hand so I don't get billed....

I did indeed use the test socket when plusnet were running tests. They concluded that the fascia was faulty causing a loop error so requested I connect router to the test socket. Loop was then fine but they said another fault (HR) has made itself known and that an engineer visit would be needed. They weren't sure of what was causing the interference or sync drop but gave warning of the charge that could occur if it's our side, which got me slightly worried.... it says interference location customer premises.... (see attachment 2)

I was trying to make sense of this and the information provided in the report as I couldn't see how it could be an interference issue on premises? Interference from what?

We've got a new master socket, no extensions connected to it, no cordless phones, no flourescent lights. I am a network engineer and This is just one of those things that will bug the hell out of me Until i get to the bottom of it!

Anyway, I am trying a new router later so with a clear conscience in knowing that will then be everything our end replaced I shouldn't get the dreaded £65 bill Smiley
Mustrum
Community Veteran

If they are saying the HR issue is there when you are in the test socket, then as I said before, get that sorted first.

The £65 warning is standard, but from what you have said will not be applied because the fault is there when you are in the test socket.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

As you have no extension wiring I would use the test socket until this is resolved. 

As for making sense of the diagnostic results, have you ever heard the saying: "The truth is time varying".

I would be interested to know how, on the end of hundreds of metres of cable, BT can detect whether an interference source is on a customers premises or just near the customers end of the line. What gets me is the 20 odd dB increase in attenuation, which needs addressing

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @RichardPoll,

It sounds like you've been pretty thorough in performing the own domain checks. Give the replacement router a go and if there's still a problem naturally the next plan of action will be to get an engineer out.

If you are already plugged into the test socket then it is highly unlikely there will be a charge, however the charge will still apply for instances such as missing the appointment or cancelling without giving our suppliers 48 hours notice.

If you end up getting a booking let us know and we can keep tabs on things here for you too Smiley

RichardPoll
Grafter

Hi Matt, thanks, I have tried to be as thorough as possible. I'm sure you can understand my concern where it mentions CE & customer premises. I have borrowed a new known working plusnet hub and I'm now waiting on the configuration. I'm not sure 100% if my microfilters are good. I have a few in my box of assorted telephone bits that Ive collected over the past few years. I need to take one apart to figure a way to test if they're filtering ok, not sure why there's no kit readily available for this? Would save a lot of hassle

I have a brand new openreach filtered faceplate currently installed but will order a filter so router goes via filter to test socket.

Thanks for commenting, much appreciated

Regards, Richard
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

No worries @RichardPoll,

I totally understand. Naturally we don't want anyone getting a charge. Keep us posted with how things go and if you want to go for the aforementioned engineer, then feel free to let us know and we can get something arrange for you.