cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant connection drops and cost of leaving?

Stevef1
Grafter

Constant connection drops and cost of leaving?

Hi,
I've been with plusnet around 3 months now and I'm having a lot of problems with disconnections, its frequently disconnecting, only for 2-3 secs but long enough to kick me out of an online game if I'm playing which is very annoying.  in the last hour I've been kicked out of the game 3 times, its just crazy.
I used the onine chat support thing and first got directed to a really basic youtube guide on how to plug in and set up a router, which quite honestly I found an insult to my intelligence.  and then I was given a link to report a fault.  ..a link I might say didn't work.  *sigh*
So I'm seeing how great plusnet support is and right this minute I'm seriously thinking of leaving, slow internet I can handle but frequent and random disconnects are just not acceptable to me.
My question, having been here 3 months, how much is it going to cost me to drop my contract with plusnet? 
6 REPLIES 6
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Constant connection drops and cost of leaving?

It's worth bearing in mind that if your line is constantly disconnecting then changing ISP will not immediately achieve anything because they will all use the same physical connection and equipment that you are now. The most that changing your ISP might achieve is a better quality of support who can chase the fault with BT. Even then you'd have to choose your new ISP carefully and to be assured of better support you will probably have to leave the budget world of Plusnet and pay more.
Your best bet would be to actually report the fault to PN and give them a chance to fix it. If you've never actually reported the issue you can hardly complain that they haven't fixed it Wink
Which link isn't working for you? There's plenty of people here who've managed to raise fault tickets but I have heard reports that part of their original support system has been disabled. Last time I had an issue I just went into live chat but I've not had to actually raise a fault for a long time now so I'm not familiar with the current process.
Stevef1
Grafter

I see where you're coming from with this, however before I switched to plusnet in December, I was with my previous isp for over 12 years and didn't have this issue.  as for the link, it was one I was given on the live chat, I don't have it atm but I know it didn't work.
mav:quote
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: Stevef1
I see where you're coming from with this, however before I switched to plusnet in December, I was with my previous isp for over 12 years
What I posted is absolutely correct(*). All fibre broadband connections in the UK are identical. Your copper telephone pair terminates (as far as broadband is concerned) at your street cabinet. It is plugged into a port on something called a DSLAM. It will remain plugged into that same port until/unless you cancel the service completely. No matter which ISP you move to your telephone pair will be left plugged into that same port. Even switching to an LLUO (eg Sky or Talk Talk) will not change things (unlike with ADSL where it would).
If your modem keeps losing its connection to that port it will do it regardless of what ISP you are signed up with. The only way to get connection faults resolved with fibre broadband is to get BT openreach to send an engineer to the cabinet. And the only way to get that to happen is to report a fault to your ISP. They will then pass that on to openreach. Switching providers will not cause an engineer to be sent out. Not to your house. Not to your cabinet. It might eventually mean that you are complaining to a better organised support department who might act faster than PN but that's pot luck. In any case quite likely the delay introduced by your request to switch providers will exceed whatever delay exists in PN's support procedures.
PN do have a fault reporting system. I'm not sure exactly what it is but it does exist and it does work. Your best course of action is to use it rather than wasting more time and money switching providers.
(*)Assuming it really is dropped connections. It could possibly be some kind of weird network fault which might be within PN's network but frankly I doubt it. That kind of fault would be affecting a lot of people and the forums would be screaming about it Wink
acr
Rising Star

You need to raise a fault by going to:-
https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
I reached it by clicking on the following:- Help & Support > Broadband > Troubleshooting Broadband Issues > Broadband Problems & How To Fix Them > Check if You've fixed the Problem > Broadband Troubleshooter.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
I've taken a look over your line and we're not seeing many disconnections at all. The image below shows these:

Are you using wireless and could it be that disconnecting?
Testing your line is giving me the following result:

Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue

I'd advise speaking to your phone provider and asking them to test the line. It's worth not mentioning broadband when you do though.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Stevef1
Grafter

That is very interesting indeed.  thank you for that info.  as for your question I use both wired and wifi (depending on what device I'm using) and noticed these drops on both  ..or so I thought.
I guess I'll have to phone BT, that'll be fun..  lol
Thank you
mav:quote