cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Wif Drop Outs and Wifi connection with no internet.

Matt72
Grafter

Constant Wif Drop Outs and Wifi connection with no internet.

Hi,

I have registered on the forum this morning in my desperation at the consistent failures of my adsl/wifi and note a previous post with exactly the same issues that i have been suffering. I hope it is ok, I have described my issue and conducted the suggested tests for hopefully, assistance/guidance  from the forum community.

I am using the Plusnet supplied router and this is a problem that since I joined up in about June 2020 has been intermittent, but the past month, has been increasingly frequent, particularly noticeable on the weekend when i am home most of the day the wifi stops, and when reconnects our devices indicates wifi connected but no internet.

I had talk talk before and never once had the connection/wifi been interrrupted.

On a weekend day this can happen now 5-6 times, 3 times this morning alone,  is very frustrating, especially for daughter and wife and their studies and video streaming, thus my quest for a solution.

I have separated the frequency bands, I have stopped 2.4gHz wifi and have all devices use 5ghz wifi only to no avail!

I have attached the reported of the recommended tests and would be so very grateful for guidance.

Matthew

33 REPLIES 33
Matt72
Grafter

Re: Constant Wif Drop Outs and Wifi connection with no internet.

the other test attached here , thanks

Matt72
Grafter

i completed the quiet line test and there was no noise, apologies i originally forgot to complete this.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Not sure why you are posting in the ADSL forum when you have FTTC/VDSL?

Are you able to log into the router, go to Advanced settings / Troubleshooting and post the Help Desk tab?

There is a widely reported issue with WiFi on the Hub 1, you may need the latest firmware.

Also, if you were to switch a band off, you would be better using just the 2.4 one.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Matt72
Grafter

Hi Mustrum,

APologies for posting in the wrong forum. I have attached the helpdesk screen, I note your suggestion to use 2.4ghz preferably over 5ghz if to switch one off.

Hoping its a firmware update that might solve the problem.

Thank you for your time.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

As suspected, you are on the troublesome firmware - if you look in the router forum you will find a long thread with similar issues. If you post a request for an update - quote your serial number and firmware as others do, you should be undated.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/m-p/1696363#M15510 

Matt72
Grafter

Thanks I will do that and update the outcome here.

Many thanks for your time.e!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @Matt72 

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm really sorry for the connection issues that you're having at the moment. I think there's more to this issue than a firmware update though. A visual radius shows multiple drop outs per day, but when testing the line itself, it's borderline perfect!

Are you rebooting your router quite often? If not, I'd suggest having a read through our Troubleshooting Guide to see if you're able to resolve this issue sooner.

While troubleshooting, if you can, please remove the faceplate from the front of your master socket, and connect directly into he test socket which lies behind it. Avoid using any extension cables between your socket and router as well.

If that doesn't fix the issue, please let us know, and we'll get a fault raised with our suppliers for further investigation.

Just a heads up as well, I'm going to raise your previous post with your helpdesk attachment with our moderators as it contains private account information on there.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 79.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 387.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From17:45to18:15
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 3
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-11-01T16:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 396.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 896.1 Sec
Retrains 0.0 3.0 0.0
Radius
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Matt72
Grafter

Thanks Adam,

I have removed the faceplate as suggested and reconnected, to see if that improves the situation, I will report back.

I note my error, hence your referral to the moderators, I apologise for this careless oversight.

Thanks again

Matt72
Grafter

Hi @adam945

Removing the face plate and reconnecting the wire to the connection behind did not make any difference.

Matthew

Matt72
Grafter

@adam945 

Some further information, there have been ALOT more disconnections this evening, almost hourly!

When restarting the router, the bar light is green, then orange flashing and solid and then whilst the bar is orange, the orange b light is illuminated and eventually the bar becomes blue.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to me @ Matt72

Please stay connected into your test socket for now, as it gives us a better idea into where the source of this issue lies. Tests on the line this morning have again shown no fault with the network, and the visual radius, which I'll pop below, does look a lot better. This is either an isolated incident, or something to do with the line in the evening. I'm around until 8pm today, so please monitor your connection throughout the day, especially this evening, and let me know how it starts to perform.

Looks like the connection has improved throughout the night so I'm wanting to see whether it starts dropping again throughout the day / evening.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Matt72
Grafter

Hi @adam945

The loss of internet whilst wifi reported to be available occurred many times tonight and was very frustrating for me trying to watch streaming tv and for daughter trying to get her homework done. My wife has important zoom meetings and we are terrified that this issue is going to interfere with those.

The wifi remained on but with no access to internet, each time the router had to be reset.

I videoed the lights of the router https://youtu.be/BrArLkz_Xo8

I need this to be resolved as soon as possible and having read the thread about a firmware update I ask that ts be urgently applied. I did request on sunday, but my request has not been acknowledged.

I read in the plusnet manual that the orange b light means that i am connected to the broadband but my account might not be switched on yet.

Thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@Matt72 that light sequence indicates a router reboot.

Does,the event log contain any messages like '17.710000) Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x3)' ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.