cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistently dropping internet on devices

kanders0n

Consistently dropping internet on devices

Hi All,

My fibre is consistently dropping on devices - typically on my laptop, phone and Xbox. I will be on my laptop and no pages will load - same goes for my phone. If I am on Xbox and no web pages will load on the laptop my ping will jump from between 20-40 to >500ms. It usually takes a long time to return to normal without reseting the router - though note the internet never fully drops from my TV/Xbox etc I will still be online.

Speed and ping are good outwith this.

I have checked the master socket and the phone line seems fine and lets me call, although the ringer sound through the phone does not sound like the normal tone. Also, my master socket looks different to some of the videos online, see attached.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Consistently dropping internet on devices

Hi there and sorry to see that's been an issue. 

Diagnostic line tests aren't identifying any issues so it would be worth ruling out WiFi as a potential cause and see if the drops also happen on a cabled connection between your laptop and the router as the next step. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kanders0n

Hi thanks for the reply.

Router seems to be fine when wired.

I am unsure what is happenening wirelessly - I cannot watch a video on anything above 360p without it constantly buffering, but when I do a speed test I am getting <15 ping, 40down and 10 up. If I then watch the same video a minute or two later I can watch in 1080p with no issues.

Thanks

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @kanders0n, thanks for getting back to us and confirming.

It looks like you have split the wireless frequencies, does the issue occur on both the 2.4GHz & 5GHz? If you haven't done so already I'd advise changing the routers wireless channel as this could help if you're experiencing some interference. You can find further information on this here.

Let us know how this goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
TomCherry

Sorry to hijack someone else's posts but I'm getting no where on Facebook, Twitter, Live Chat etc etc.

0 updates, just been told there's a fault!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting in touch @TomCherry.

I can see you messaged us via Facebook regarding this and one of my colleagues has taken personal ownership of the matter.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team