cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistent intermittent HIGH PING, poor connection, lagging, dropout

intryem24

Consistent intermittent HIGH PING, poor connection, lagging, dropout

Gaming, streaming (film, podcasts, music), working from home, just about anything where we experience dropouts, lag and high ping (gaming). Issues are 99% of the time in the afternoon and evening. Engineers visit in the morning where they report no issues - but all have had different random theories which come to nothing. The issues are months old. Repeatedly told by plusnet there are no issues on their tests (which test a few seconds in time). Sent us a new router which we are using. Keep trying to tell them we have more to do than moan to plusnet about phantom internet issues. We’ve tried wired connection on devices that can be connected, we only live in a small bungalow so should be no issues with connectivity around the house. We are so fed up. Plusnet give us no answers. Anyone, particularly people who game (PS - eg COD/FIFA, have same issues/have any answers?

THANK YOU *
9 REPLIES 9
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Consistent intermittent HIGH PING, poor connection, lagging, dropout

Hi @intryem24, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've been having performance issues with your connection as of recent.

I can confirm when checking your connection from this side currently we're seeing 59.1Mbps download and 17.3Mbps upload currently reaching your router with no signs of underlying issues. Although our tests run at the time of testing, if there's any large amount of errors impacting your connection or such then we'd be able to see them when looking over the test results. 
Both the upload and download speeds look to be falling towards the higher end of your line estimates which also hints there's nothing impacting the connection.

This doesn't mean there's not an issue present but points towards either the router/wireless or potential a bandwidth issue which may be behind this rather than there being an underlying problem with the connection.

If you haven't already, then the first thing I'd advise with the new router is going through the wireless improvement steps below which should help improve the performance on wireless. The router will have been sent out with default settings so optimising the wireless to best suit your property may be needed again.
We're aware of a known issue currently with the firmware in the router which very well could be behind the performance drops you're seeing at times and I'd advise to disable the 5Ghz completely if the below steps don't look to help with the issues you're seeing. (This can be done on the same page you split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies)

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app on the android store called "wifi analyzer" (blue and white icon) which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices  to for a stronger signal.  
(When deciding which device goes on what frequency keep in mind that the 5GHz is designed for close range stationary devices and standard 2.4GHz the one which gets the wireless around your property further.)

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Let us know how it goes and if issues look to persist after trying to above splitting, changing of channel and if needed disabling of the 5Ghz frequency. If issues look to persist then there's further steps we can advise.

intryem24

Hi Ben

These were all steps repeatedly given to us every time we contacted Plusnet which failed to work. We finally had a resolution when we received support from the faults team. The solution to the problem was being given money to buy a BT router, this has immediately resolved our issues showing the issue was with inadequate Plusnet hardware (persistent as we tried multiple Plusnet routers). I do not need further advice on this thread as I will be raising a formal complaint. However I wanted to reply as I'm sure other customers will be interested to see how you could solve their internet connectivity problems. 

Kind regards

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@intryem24 wrote:

The solution to the problem was being given money to buy a BT router ...

I do not need further advice on this thread as I will be raising a formal complaint. However I wanted to reply as I'm sure other customers will be interested to see how you could solve their internet connectivity problems. 

Lucky you for receiving cash towards your purchase, so what is there to complain about?  Roll_eyes

As another customer thanks for the advice, although during the almost 19 years that I've been with PlusNet I've never experienced the problem you describe, but then I've always bought my own modem/routers and routers, and never bothered to use a FoC ISP supplied device.

intryem24

Hi Rob, I wanted to capture the solution here for other customers not the lengthy process it has taken to get to the solution. It seems reasonable to then express my complaint in the appropriate routes with Plusnet. Though I would suggest that having hardware that is functional is quite a reasonable expectation, and it’s a very low bar if that is considered lucky.

I’m pleased you haven’t had the same problems.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@RobPN wrote:

...but then I've always bought my own modem/routers and routers, and never bothered to use a FoC ISP supplied device.

Very wise.  👍🏼

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

How about an ISP supplied Fritzbox 7530 - admittedly preconfigured to my account details, but otherwise bog-standard and updated by AVM for as long as it lasts?

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Ah yes @jab1 , possibly the exception rather than the rule, but AFAIK your new ISP is not as low down the budget scale as PN.  Cool_smiley

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

That is very true, @RobPN , but they are only about £6 more than PN for the 40/10 FTTC product I am on and my contract price is not subject to the CPI+3.9% increase that  most other ISPs using the BT network have imposed on their customers.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @intryem24 and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm really sorry for the issues you've had with your connection.

I've picked up the complaint you've raised tonight and I've taken personal ownership

Having reviewed this, I can see we made several suggestions to try to resolve the issue, including arrange engineer visits.

I'm afraid it's not possible for us to provide a free router that'll give a perfect wireless connection for everybody as there are various environmental factors, which can affect the wireless signal around your home, but I'm glad to see that the problem's resolved by buying a third party router we've reimbursed you for as a goodwill gesture.

I do sincerely apologise for the difficulties you've had though especially when trying to work from home. 

As you've gone into more detail in the complaint on your account, I've added more detail on the ticket Here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet