cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistent Low Speeds

YorkCov

Consistent Low Speeds

Hi

We have been having some problems with our internet connection lately. Our tests have been conducted on both wifi and with a wired ethernet connection direct to the router.

Speed tests have been done via Ookla, BT Speedtest and Speedtest.net

About a few months ago we lost our internet connection entirely, and after contacting PlusNet the Openreach guy came around and upgraded our wall plug to a new master socket. We got a Master Socket 5C, Mk4 from Openreach.

The network engineer also reset our router for us. The internet then came back on again.

However, it was now quite a lot slower than what we had before.

We have spoken to PlusNet technical support a few times and they don’t seem to believe us when we say we’re on 20mb connection as their systems show a greater capacity.

The sync speeds are really good and consistent with low line noise. At numerous times of the day and night we have tested it with speed checks and it comes in at 23mbps down, and 18mbps up. A few times we have got to 20mbps up, but that’s only overnight.  Speed checks have been done at Midnight, 3am, 11am and 6pm. My son works shifts and is often around online at those times.

The sync speed shows 71.8Mbps down and 20Mbps up, which is what PlusNet reckon we are getting.

The BT Wholesale page tests agree it is not working properly, and the fact it’s a constant speed at all times of the day and night suggests it is not a contention issue.

We have tried a different router, a Zyxel VMG3925-B10C, compared to the PlusNet Hub supplied. After putting in all the details and settings found that it still only allowed the above speeds.

A friend who is a network engineer visited this week to help. His Viavi ONX checked the line and generated a report but there is no way to attach that. He spoke with PlusNet technical support and verified all that had been done with our testing, but still couldn’t get past the above speeds.

We are paying for the Unlimited Fibre Extra, which is advertised as average 66Mbps.  Any ideas? We will be sad if we have to leave PlusNet having been with them for 17 years.

5 REPLIES 5
Biggsy
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Re: Consistent Low Speeds

I'm having a suspiciously similar problem. I tried a different router, and then download speed plummeted from 51 to 20 Mbps. It remains at a steady 20 with the router swapped back and all the same settings I used before.

I suspect the system detects what it regards as a fault on the line (perhaps just a brief outage) and throttles the speed. That's understandable for a short while, but it should try to ramp up again, not to permanently leave it low when we're paying for a lot more.

For me, Plusnet have not even responded after I reported the fault nearly a week ago. Perhaps they don't care about retaining customers any more.

Sorry I can't help you. Just posting to empathise. (I started a separate thread earlier for my own case).
Biggsy
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Plusnet have now got my speed back up to 51+ Mbps. They said there was a problem with my account rather than the line.

Perhaps the same will apply to you, YorkCow. Get them to check your account again to ensure they're at least trying to deliver the correct service. Be patient for a few more days, but then make a fuss on here if still no joy.

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch. I have looked into your line and current speeds are even above your estimates, average sync speed in last 14 days is 63Mbps.

Your contractual speeds are up to 61Mbps and IP profile is correct.

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

-Piotr

YorkCov

I cannot believe Plusnet's response. It's the same as they've regularly given on the phone. I agree the sync speed is in the 60's. the point is the ACTUAL speed is not matching the sync speed. I don't know why that should be so but I'm furious that Plusnet keep ignoring the readings that we are getting at home, particularly as some of the readings have been done by my friend who is an experienced network engineer using his professional measuring equipment.

YorkCov

So the only way you will believe that I am only getting a 23mbs connection is to actually send an engineer round to test it?