Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistantly slow fibre speed

melaniej911
Hooked

Consistantly slow fibre speed

Hello,  Not one to moan, but I just have to let off som steam with my speed

Renewed with Plusnet to Fibre superfast  whizz etc to find no difference to the 2 mb I had before...TWICE I have spent 3 hours (45 mins waiting for someone to answer) with Engineers, starts out at 30mb when Eng takes over my laptop, then drops downs, and can only log on sitting next to my hub of which apparently both Engs said something in my cottage is blocking the signal strengh, (cottage is made of granite) BUT because Plusnet have done their bit as in receiving a signal of 30gm nothing can be done.....I cannot watch any video's (I have a brand new lap top no mem used) even little vids posted on FB etc cannot play games online as both just stop midway buffing saying 'loading' or just fly off into cyberspace .......I completely understand there is nothing you can do and I just have to suck up the new 18 month contract now, funny thing is the speed is exactly the same as when I was on the lower stream of 2mg even though it shows faster, trust me it so isnt......As I say this is letting off steam here as my stress level cannot cope with spending 3 hours at a time changing things etc ....2nd Eng was lovely btw chatty, happy and determined to get me going which he did however now back to 'stop start' and 'loading' mode......Off to use my iphone now its faster !!!!!

4 REPLIES 4
AASteve

Re: Consistantly slow fibre speed

Keeping in mind im no expert but not a beginner either there are a couple of things i would try....
Plug your laptop into the router using an ethernet cable and try streaming your films etc. This will test your connection speed and not your wifi signal
Download a wifi sniffer app and open it on your phone and go sit in different rooms to see how the signal strength performs, it may be worth changing the routers broadcast channels.
The new pn router works on 2 different frequencies so it may be worth checking if your laptop does too.
If you gain no success with these and you are sure it is down to your signal rather than connection due to granite walls then it may pay to purchase some powerline adapters which plug into each room and uses the house wiring to transmit.
Hope that helps
Tags (1)
melaniej911
Hooked

Hi Steve,  Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post and for your help I will most certainly try all your suggestions......I would have replied sooner bar the fact its taken me ages to log onto Plusnet keep getting Error 500 !!! finally managed to get plusnet up.....was ok for the last year with Plusnet broadband since changing over been a nightmare I was expecting my system to whiz around as the Advisor promised me sadly not true, I have to keep closing it down as it just 'hangs'  then load up IE again less painful than waiting for something to happen, doesnt always work as I get the Error 500 code but eventually it will load up......I did do a test with one Eng taking the laptop into the kitchen which is next to living room where the hub is and it dropped right down....  another Eng suggested I buy a 50m whatever length ethernet cable so I could take it to other rooms or into the garden.........seriously !!!

I've been online for 35 years working for a major global IT Company but certainly no expert as IT always fixed probs, I should have paid more attention.......thank you again Steve sincerely appreciate your help which I most certianly will try ........Mel   Smiley

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

Sorry that you're having issues with wifi. This is something we unfortunately can't guarantee the speed of due to the large amount of factors that can impact the signal, such as the material the house is built out of.

Have you looked in to wifi extenders at all? These would plug in around the house and boost the signal where you need it.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
melaniej911
Hooked

Many thanks Chris appreciate your reply but I really dont want to spend any more money.....of which I have to ask should be selling a product where as you say.......This is something we unfortunately can't guarantee the speed of due to the large amount of factors that can impact the signal, such as the material the house is built out of.  Might be worth getting the Sales team to ask few questions before they sell the product ie; what is your house made of for those of us who are rural........my neighbours cottage which is exactly the same build, has BT and where it kills me to say as not a BT fan, they have no issues at all with their fibre  !!!! 

My post was to just let off some steam, and as I only use it an hour or so in the eve and rarely weekends unless desperate, am just tired of it all cant be bothered with all the hassle, so will just suck up the 18 month contract and then find another SP  thanks again to you and Steve  Smiley