cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering upgrading to fibre - house wiring Q

AvengerUK

Considering upgrading to fibre - house wiring Q

Hey all,
I've been with plusnet for almost a year, on a ADSL2+ which'll soon expire. I get a very decent connection (max) for ADSL2+ - but I have considered upgrading to fibre for a while.
My question would be around the house wiring and "what the BT engineer" could do - as I think the wiring layout could cause some issues...
The wiring is "post office" era, so I think it enters in the house at the junction box shown in the picture below - which I believe is where the amendments for fibre would have to be made? - which wouldn't work as its in the master bedroom's wardrobe (and no power or anything near it).
Currently this then leads down through the house to the "master socket" which is downstairs - where ADSL2+ is currently plugged in the hallway (again a stupid place to have it!)
This has put me off ordering for the "forseeing of issues arising" - but thought I'd ask people here...unless BT would run a cable through to somewhere more sensible (and with power)
Thanks,
9 REPLIES 9
jjc
Grafter

Re: Considering upgrading to fibre - house wiring Q

Mine was originaly like yours but the BT engineer altered the way the cables were connected, he did not add any new cables but just altered the way my own extention cables were used so a different ext became the 'master'
John
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think you still get an engineer home visit for FTTC upgrades with Plusnet, although I wouldn't be surprised it everything ends up as self-install sooner or later.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Actaullay you don't automatically get an engineer visit now with PN for  normal FTTC installations now since in the introduction of the new hub. But from your description you will need one uneless you are able to carry out a comptent DIY job to put your master socket in a convenient position.
Ring up sales, get a quote and specify you must have an engineer to install  to carry out socket and wiring upgrades . You could well have to pay extra for this . But if you don't you will almost certainly get inferior performance.
I can't think of any other way to do it!
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I would mention that the house wiring is VERY old, every wall box says GPO and there's no BT branded NTE5/linebox so you cannot perform a self install.
As everything up to and including the 'master socket' is BT's property and responsibility, they would be effectively granting you permission to potentially do a DIY hack job on their wiring, so you might just get a nice Openreach man show up and fit you a new drop cable into the house with shiny openreach branded termination. If you ask him REALLY nicely, he might even drill you through a complete new one by the doorway.  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Self installs can be done without a NTE5 as you you get a dangly filter.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AvengerUK

Thanks for the reply's all.
I got a response from Plusnet saying what some of you have said - that they no longer send out engineers, but
I have read through your concerns and am happy to confirm that the router we send out for the fibre optic service will work connected to an extension socket in the property.

along with
If you wanted to pay for an engineer to sort out the internal wiring for you, that would cost £160.

So they seem to think it'll work on the current socket? (I wasn't aware that an engineer is no longer needed?!)
AvengerUK

Based on the above, took the plunge.
Weirdly, the confirmation I've received (below) makes no mention of the fibre change :S
Your call plan is changing
As requested, your call plan is changing.
•  New call plan: Line Only
•  New contract period: Monthly
This change will happen on 06/02/2016.

Paid for the router and everything! so it should of changed to Fibre Extra...
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The VDSL2 signals sent down your phone line from the cabinet work in a similar way as ADSL2+ from the exchange, but the impact of bad internal wiring can be more significant.
It's not really the type of master socket itself that's important, what's important about the modern NTE5a is that it allows you to fit a filtered faceplate, which should mostly eliminate any effects the extension wiring might have one your broadband. What type of master socket do you have, and how many other telephone sockets are there?
AvengerUK

Yes I should of mentioned - I fitted a filtered faceplate myself, just  the one socket as-well.
Was a bit flaky before I modified it.
(Solwise ADSL Faceplate Splitter for NTE5)