cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection woes

kanedaa
Dabbler

Re: Connection woes

So it's been just over a week now and I wanted to give an update - both to say thanks to those who have helped me out on here and as some kind of record in case it all goes wrong again!
Short version - the connection has remained stable and is back to what is basically full speed. At its peak in the 1st year it was 74/18 and now I'd say it's closer to 73/17 but it really could just be speedtest performance. I'm seeing 8.6MB/s - 8.7MB/s download speeds which is great.
Longer version - in 8 days the connection has re-synced on the router side once, this happened automatically overnight on 1st May (a few days after my last post) and saw a slight BT IP Profile drop from 77.43 to 77.42. Just on cursory monitoring of DSLStats I'd say this gave a slight improvement to the number of ES I was seeing, but it's hard to say if the miniscule drop was really the reason for that.
As far as errors go, I've been watching the ES charts and they seem to stay around 1-3 per hour with jumps to 5-6 in busy hours. From what I've read with Plusnet who use the 'Standard' profile you're allowed 1 error per minute and they base this off of ES, so I'm assuming my connection is safe from change with those small error levels.
I did have a big scare last night when the Upstream ES shot up to over 65 between 6-7pm, and then 45+ between 7-8pm. Watching the CRC errors this all occurred between 6:40pm and 7:15pm and I have absolutely no idea what the cause could be. We were using nothing out of the ordinary in the house. It was very strange and I was worried I was going to wake up this morning and find my connection had been slowed down again.
I've attached the full monty graphs for the last 8 days. Also attached the ES and CRC graph from DSLstats showing that weird spike last night.
Thanks to jafreer and Bald_Eagle_1 for your help. It's much appreciated. Plusnet should be thanking you as well because I was looking into Virgin Media as a very serious alternative when I first posted here.