cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection unstable

sparky1687
Dabbler

Connection unstable

Been with plusnet just over 2 weeks. Keep getting error message when trying to do conference calls with work saying my connection is unstable and the picture will freeze, 2 minutes at most. My router says I’m getting around 32mb download speed. This speed is above my guaranteed and more then my previous provider. But with my previous provider I never experienced so many unstable connections or dropouts as I have with plusnet. iPhones connected to WiFi will not load webpages when connected to WiFi and we have to disconnect for them to load. I can not access the faults page for plusnet as it just won’t load and it won’t load on my mobile using data. Can someone please help as plusnet help on Twitter are no use either
22 REPLIES 22
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Connection unstable

Thanks for getting in touch @sparky1687 

I'm sorry for the issues with your connection. I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues with the broadband signal going into your router so I've made some changes to the wireless settings in your router which means you should see a new network name ending in 5GHz.

If you find you have problems on the usual network name, I'd recommend going through the wireless troubleshooting steps explained Here. If you have issues while on the 5GHz wireless frequency, it may be worth posting in this thread Here as we might be able to make changes to your router's firmware version.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sparky1687
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf, I have tested this out like you suggested but unfortunately I still get the same results. My alexa enables devices keep stopping because the internet connection is unstable/stops. Still get the iPhone issues and still have terrible connection during work meetings.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @spark1687

Are you on the 5GHz wireless when you're having issues?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JulesM
Hooked

I am having the exact same problem!  Moved from TalkTalk about 3 or 4 weeks ago and the connection is frequently dropping.  Speed (when working) is great, but we are eating up our mobile phone data because we are having to disconnect from Plusnet! The kids are driving me MAD moaning about the Xbox not working properly.  Please help!

Tags (2)
sparky1687
Dabbler

Gandalf, it’s happening on both.

JulesM it’s annoying isnt it?
JulesM
Hooked

Please can you help with our connection?  We are also dropping out very frequently and having to use data on our mobile phones.  The kids don't have big data packages and are getting very frustrated.

JulesM
Hooked

It is.  Especially given we changed over for the guaranteed better speed - which we only get intermittently when it's actually connected!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@sparky1687 what steps have you tried specifically? Have you changed the wireless channels? I can see all your devices are currently on the 2.4GHz wireless network, could you move some across to the 5GHz please?

@JulesM I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues with the broadband signal going into your router either, the broadband connection's been stable with no drops for the last 4 days. I've made the same changes to the wireless settings in your router as above. Could you connect your devices onto the 5GHz and let us know how it goes?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sparky1687
Dabbler

Tried my laptop on 5Ghz, also my iPhone and still get the same problems. Constant connection unstable during meetings.
sparky1687
Dabbler

Attached photo of error message that shows up. Had laptop and iphone on 5Ghz since you changed it for me and it still is rubbish.

JasonA

I have similar problems. I've been on plusnet ASDL (no fibre) for many years. I have some thick walls so have 2 homeplugs. No major problems. 

About a month a go I upgraded to fibre (to cope with home working / video calls etc). 

When it works speed is good 33mb....but as we move  around the house and reconnect to the homeplugs,  then the router,  then may be the home plug again we all start to lose our connection on most devices. Strangely if one app is connected on a device it seems to stay connected (but only for that one app) 

I've been in touch with plusnet and changed signal...same problem occurs. 

My guess is it is something to do with switching between the home plugs. 

Any advice on how to set these correctly welcome.... or is the only solution a MESH system? Rebooting also works... But I cant do that 2 or 3 times a day! 

sparky1687
Dabbler

I don't have the homeplugs or whatever they are. Just PlusNet fibre and my connection is dire. Alexa devices stop playing music because the connection drops, meetings keep freezing, web pages wont load on iphones and laptops because connections is shocking. I have devices on 2ghz and 5ghz and its happening on both frequencies. getting rather annoyed at it. I understand everything at the minute is making things harder for things, but my previous supplier was guaranteeing me a lower speed than Plusnet, and the issues I had with them at the beginning of my contract where dealt with straight away. They even refunded me 2 months worth of broadband because of the issue, never had any problems after that. I have had to reboot my router once because everything completely stopped, don't really want to have to reboot router everytime as it defeats the object.

sparky1687
Dabbler

My partner is trying to upload work online and the internet is slow/not even working! She’s been on for an hour, a task that takes 5-10 minutes max. This is disgraceful. I’m paying for better internet than my previous supplier and I’m not getting it.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @sparky1687 

I'd recommend changing the wireless channels if you're having issues with both frequencies.

It may also be worth trying a wired connection to narrow down where the issue may lie.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet