cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed taken a dive

charlesroper
Dabbler

Connection speed taken a dive

My router lost connection a couple of times in the last day or so, and now the BT Wholesale speed checker is saying my IP profile is 17.8Mbps. It was previously stable at around the ~30Mbps and has been for some time. Nothing has changed in the house.

Do I just need to wait to see if the IP profile resets? Do I need to do anything (like restart my router after so many days)?

5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Connection speed taken a dive

It looks like there were quite a number of disconnections yesterday which are suggesting something was wrong/is wrong with the line:

image15100656636632

However I've just tested the line and it seems the profile has already increased again, with the line now connecting at 35Mb/s

How's it performing now?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
charlesroper
Dabbler

Hi Chris,

Yes, it says it's connected at 35Mbps on the router now - whew! Thanks for the graph of the disconnects. Looks like the line went through a very rough patch.

That said, running a speed test across a number of services, it would appear I am still rate limited for some reason. See attached and this speedtest.net result.

charlesroper
Dabbler

It still won't go any faster than ~14 Mbps even though it's still connected at 35 Mbps and my IP profile is 33.88 Mbps. I've attached a screenshot of the BT speedtest.

charlesroper
Dabbler

@Chris, I left it for a few days and I still couldn't get a speed test to go above 14 Mbps, even though it was saying it is connected at 35 Mbps. So today I restarted the router and, voila, it is still saying it's connected at 35 Mbps, but the speed tests are back to what I'd expect (~30-33 Mbps).

So it just needed a manual restart for some reason.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm glad to hear you're up to speed now Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet