cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection slow, dropping frequently, now completely dead

rdwcoady

Connection slow, dropping frequently, now completely dead

Hi,

For the last two weeks or so our internet connection has been intermittently dropping or getting very slow download speeds (0.5mbps, 300+ ms jitter, upload is fine though). These have been getting steadily worse, and where before restarting the router generally fixed them, the internet has now been down for the best part of an hour with restarting doing nothing.

This is happening over both wired and wireless connection, with the orange light and the broadband light both illuminated. I've replaced the cable from the wall socket (the master) to the router just in case something had happened to that, but no luck.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers
3 REPLIES 3
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Connection slow, dropping frequently, now completely dead

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your connection.

We've tested your line and it's showing that the password stored in your router is incorrect,

In the first instance we'd try resetting the router using the pinhole on the back.

Failing that I've included a guide below with instructions on how to do this manually.

1) Open a browser
2) Enter 192.168.1.254 into the address bar
3) On the router's home screen, select 'Settings'
4) Enter the password. This is the 'Admin Password for Hub Manager' on the removable card on the rear of the router (it can also be found on the base of the router)Within the 'Settings' menu, select the 'Broadband' tab or 'Enter your broadband username and password'
5) On the following page, you must enter the broadband username and password (There is a 'show characters option on this page if you are struggling with entering the password)
6) Click the 'Connect' button. The power light should turn blue to indicate that there is an internet connection.

Let us know how you get on

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rdwcoady

Thanks very much for your help - looks like it might have been a chrome autofill mishap while restarting the router! Since re-entering my details I've had a connection, but it is still dropping frequently requiring router restarts, and in the evenings the fastest speedtests I've done have resulted in only about 16mbps download speeds. Do you have any ideas on what might be causing these issues?

Cheers!

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @rdwcoady,

I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing some issues. I've raised a ticket on your account regarding this issue which can be viewed here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team