cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems with web host sites only

djrob
Dabbler

Connection problems with web host sites only

I am having strange website connection issues but ONLY with websites that are hosted by my web host. On a weekly basis I have temporary connection issues with sites I am working on (err_connection_timed_out). The site will not load on any devices or computers on my network, but WILL load okay via 4G or external networks. Sometimes the site will load after 30-40 secs, other times it can take 5 mins or longer. All other websites load okay during this time so the issue must between my network and my hosts server. The web host have suggested it's an ISP issue.

I have tried changing DNS servers to Google and flushed DNS, but the problem still comes back. So is it a firewall/IP blocking issue or something else?

7 REPLIES 7
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Connection problems with web host sites only

@djrob wrote:

I am having strange website connection issues but ONLY with websites that are hosted by my web host. On a weekly basis I have temporary connection issues...

Surely, that interval is significant?

Have you tried an alternate web browser?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

djrob
Dabbler

It's totally sporadic. I have tried different browers/devices and they all have the same issue. Happened again this morning with one site I was working on - on my wired and wifi network I couldn't access the site on any computer or device. If I access via 4G mobile or another location the site loads okay. So this points to an issue with my network - why would only sites on my webhost not load temporarily? Are IPs being blocked or throttled?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @djrob

Thanks for coming back to us.

I can see that my colleague has added a static IP to your account a few days ago - have the problems reoccurred since?

Best wishes

Dave

djrob
Dabbler

Yes we now have static IP but has made no difference. I have just had the same problem again with a new website I've just set-up. Took about 2-3 mins to finally load after time out errors.

I don't understand why only my web hosts sites have this problem. Could there be an issue with my hosts IP being blocked?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @djrob

If the IP was being blocked, the site wouldn't load at all (and you'd likely get a message to the effect that it had been blocked).

Just out of interest, do the sites load if you access them via a VPN?

Do you have access to a 3rd party router that we can configure to see if the problem replicates across different hardware?

Best wishes

Dave

djrob
Dabbler

I haven't tried via VPN, is that easy to try?

I am using a 3rd party router (Apple Extreme) with my BT open reach modem. As it stands the problem persists across all Macs and connected devices (Macs are wired ethernet, rest are wifi). The weird thing is it doesn't happen all the time, maybe 2-3 times a day and with different sites. The only consistent thing is they are ALL sites hosted by my webhost.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @djrob - there are lots of free VPN sites - a quick Google should point you in the right direction.

If you happen to still have the PN router to hand, it wouldn't hurt to try that as well to narrow things down.

Finally, I'd check in with your webhost just in case they're aware of something that I/you wouldn't have visibility of.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Dave