cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps dropping!

Bede93

Connection keeps dropping!

My connection keeps dropping every 10 minutes for around a minute then comes back. It’s been doing this for almost a year now. It’s consistently intermittent.

First I assumed it was the router being a few years old so I upgraded to the Hub one, however the problem still persists.
I’ve phoned up a number of times and been told the same process of basic troubleshooting.
I’ve tried changing wireless channels
Disabling the firewall
Factory reset
Nothing seems to work.
The fact it did this on both routers suggests to be it’s not the router at fault and apparently there are no line issues on your side.
Can you please explain to be what other external factors could be causing this as it’s very frustrating as I heavily rely on WiFi calling due to living in a remote area with little to no cellular network.

Upload/download speeds are very good for the whole 9 minutes they last.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Connection keeps dropping!

Thanks for getting in touch @Bede93 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems. As you've mentioned, line tests aren't showing any issues and your broadband connection only appears to have dropped once today in the past 9 days.

Does the light on the front of the router change colour periodically when your connection drops? Do you also have any device you can connect using a wired connection you can try? That'd be a good identifier if the actual broadband is dropping or if the problem is something more local/within your property i.e. WiFi.

If the problem is just related to the wireless signal within your property, I think it's definitely worth carrying out the steps Here to split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies in addition to changing the WiFi channels which you've tried.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bede93

The only device I have that could use an Ethernet cable is a Sky TV box. I’m not sure if that could be used reliably to carry out a test.

I’ve have a photo of the router event log which I will attach to this post. See if it looks normal to you.
Thanks for your reply.F01BCD4A-1C2B-4BAB-B8A1-843DCF34748B.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @Bede93 

Those logs don't show the actual broadband connection dropping out, they're more your devices communicating with the router. Do you have any issues with your Sky box that's connected via ethernet?

It may also be worth carrying out the steps I've advised above to try to get to the bottom of the issue.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet