cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps dropping

Emily2

Connection keeps dropping

My broadband went live on the 24th May. Since then I've had drop outs every few hours. I've tried all the troubleshooting and nothing has worked.
3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Connection keeps dropping

Hi Emily,

A warm welcome to the forums.

When you say you've done "all the trouble shooting" what have been the results of all of the steps?

Does the phone line have a dial tone and is the line quiet?

Have you removed the master socket faceplate and connected to the test socket?

What are the results of the BT speed test?

Was it run over an ethernet connected device?

When you say that the connection keeps dropping, how do you discern that?  Do the router lights change colour?

Can you correlate the disconnections with anything else?  For example using the telephone or something being switched on or off?

Have you run the broadband fault reporter?  (See the link below).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Emily2, thanks for getting in touch and welcome to our Community Forums.

Looking over your account currently I can see that your router doesn't look to be correctly authenticating the connection meaning the connection isn't correctly coming through which would explain why it seems to keep disconnecting every few hours.
In which case, if you follow the steps below on how to log into the router and update the broadband username and password details to match those on your account then the connection should start coming through addressing the issues you've been having.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Broadband.'

4) You will see some default options, if not, please press 'Disconnect' on the right and this will allow you to change the Username and Password.

5) For your username, this should be your account username and should be in the following format: username@plusdsl.net
Your password is your account password

6) Press 'Connect' and you should be online.

I can also confirm it doesn't look like your router was scanned prior to being dispatched which I beleive has resulted in this authentication issue. If then you could please drop me a private message with the below information then I can make sure your router is linked to your account which should help  prevent any further issues like this moving forwards.

If you could please check the bottom of the router on the sticker (not to be confused with the back where the wifi details are) and drop me a private message with your:
- The full serial number
- First 6 characters of your MAC address

I look forwards to hearing from you further and please do let us know how it goes.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@BD 

Nice one Ben - this is a bit of an odd-ball - so it is a good "spot" very different from the usual issues we see around here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.