Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection has Timed out / This page can't be displayed

FIXED
melmerby
Hooked

Connection has Timed out / This page can't be displayed

Hi all

I have a problem connecting to websites but it is not consistent.

Sometimes I can connect to a website first time, sometimes I cannot connect at all, sometimes after the first, second or subsequent attempt. I am using the LAN connections from either of 2 PCs or Wifi with either of 2 laptops

(It also happens when using an Android tablet using wi-fi. although I don't get the message just sometimes it's very slow connecting.)

With Firefox 50 it is "Connection has timed out" and with IE 11 it is "This page can't be displayed."

Troubleshooting produces no errors. My line speed is good & consistent (76Mbps with the BT speedchecker)

Some websites I can connect to first time, every time without fail.

I have a Technicolor 582 router and I am using Win10 (latest updates) on all 4 PCs, and all with Kaspersky Internet Security.

I have seen some posts about similar problems with the 582 but none seem to be exactly like my problem

Any suggestions

Cheers

Keith

13 REPLIES 13
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Connection has Timed out / This page can't be displayed

If they load fine over Ethernet then your connection to the www sounds like it's fine.

If you have the issues reported above via WiFi, then imho you have a WiFi range or interference issue.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Look at post 5 in this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Windows-10-upgrade-connectivity-proble... for the answer to this very well known problem.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
melmerby
Hooked

Hi both

To clarify, the problem is the same with LAN or W-Fi.

I'm not sure what I am supposed to see in post 5 on that thread.

I'm fairly au fait with computers but not network settings.

I did a ping of www.bbc.co.uk and it came back with 4 good pings @ 8mS each

I did a ping of one of the sites I have trouble with and it came back with 4 good pings @ 145mS each, which seems somewhat high.

Another site came up with 4 "Request timed out" responses.

Cheers

Keith

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I've very briefly skimmed through that link and it appears to show that there might be an issue with the 582n router and the Windows 10 operating system, hence why I think SpendLessTime posted it.

In honesty, W10 and early Plusnet routers are something I'm not familiar with.

From what you've just written, it might be worth hanging on, hopefully for a short time, until a member of the Plusnet Team post a reply - they are Plusnet staff and can either run tests, or pass this on for further testing/investigation.

Whilst you're waiting, you could carry out a few more (BT Wholesale Speed Test <- opens in a new page) tests, as these get logged and plusnet can access them. Make sure you follow the instructions clearly. If at any point you're not sure what to do, pop back here and hopefully someone with assist you.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

There is a known issue with the TG582n which is o/s agnostic so please follow the telnet instructions included by @SpendLessTime's link
melmerby
Hooked

As I said earlier I'm not au fait with networking so "telnet" is an alien term to me!

What am I supposed to be doing with it?

(I do the pings and I get the IP address 198.18.1.xx on those that fail so I assume it must be the same sort of problem with the 582 router)

Cheers

Keith

SpendLessTime
Hero

Fix

If you have Windows 10 then telnet is built in.

Open the Windows command prompt.

Find out the IP address of your router (that is what you type in the browser to get to the router admin page)

Type "telnet 192.168.1.254"  without quotes and replace 192.168.1.254 with your router's IP address.

Then log on using the username admin and the password you use for the router webpage 

then type the commands

dns server config WANDownSpoofing = disabled
dns server debug spoof clear
dns server debug spoof list
saveall
exit

melmerby
Hooked

Problem.

Windows 10 Command Prompt returns the message "'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Also If I try and connect to the router with it's address from a browser I get the message "Unable to connect" Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.253.

What's going on?

Cheers

Keith

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Telnet is not enabled by default in Windows 10. Click here for a quick way to install it.

The router address should be 192.168.1.254

melmerby
Hooked

Thanks for that.

Looks like it has cured the problem.

I'll try it for a couple of days and if it's keeps going OK I'll mark it as solved.

Cheers

Keith

melmerby
Hooked

What exactly were those Commands doing to the router?

The fix ought to be pinned so that anyone using that router with Win10 can find it straight away without searching through pages of guff some which meant nothing to me!

Keith

SpendLessTime
Hero

@melmerby

Basically there is a mismatch between the Windows DNS code and the DNS code in the router. (see this post https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/198-18-1-x-address-problems/m-p/1171221#M279887 for that discussion)

The commands first disable the function on the router, then clear down an internal table and lists it to show it is now empty, then finally saves to the router's memory that the function WANDownSpoof is disabled. So when the router reboots, it should disable it automatically.

Edit: And yes it really should be fixed properly by Plusnet as this is a very well know bug and has been around for several years. But they have chosen not to Sad

ask66
Dabbler

Many thanks melmerby/Keith for highlighting this problem (maybe others have done so previously but your thread was the first one I noticed last night when on the PN Community in desperation! Ever since the Windows 10 Anniversary Update installed itself on my PC a couple of months ago, my internet has been painfully slow, often requiring multiple refreshes to be able to view webpages.  I had used online chat to ask PN staff if there was a known problem and was told 'no').

And especially thanks to SpendLessTime for the fix (which has worked by the way!) and to Browni for the tip on enabling Telnet - it wasn't enabled on my Windows 10 PC.

All this really demonstrates the value of a good user community - thanks again everyone.