cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection drops multiple times a day

iainmacn
Hooked

Connection drops multiple times a day

I've been with Plusnet since 2014, and recently upgraded to fibre.  It was upgraded on March 18th, but since then I've not had a day without numerous dropouts - probably in double figures every day - as high as 40-50 on some days in my estimation.

I've rung up multiple times, had two engineers from OpenReach visit, but it's still no better.  Lots of sympathy from Plusnet phone staff but as yet no resolution.  It's seriously affecting my work and to be blunt my mood.  I've tried everything suggested but ten days into having fibre, it's next to useless.

I'm not tied in to an eighteen month contract for a service that just isn't up to scratch, so unless there's a very speedy resolution I'll be looking into how to get out of that.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

12 REPLIES 12
dp3435

Re: Connection drops multiple times a day

Hi,

I'm afraid I cannot help, but I have a similar issue at the moment, so I will follow this thread.

Mine doesn't cut off half as many times as yours.  Mine is fine most the time, but at least 5 times a week at the moment it will cut off, the red 'b' will come on and after about 2 minutes of waiting, all is well again.  

It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it obviously interferes with anything you're doing; remote learning, streaming, gaming etc.

I think it has something to do with authentication...

I have also recently installed wireless booster mains plug sockets.  I wonder if that has caused the issue.

iainmacn
Hooked

Hi

Sorry to hear that - it's absolutely maddening isn't it, especially when so much is done online via Teams etc right now?

I currently don't have anything "extra" added in - I'm plugged straight into the test socket with no boosters etc.  Looking through the forum it seems that lots of people have had the same issue.

Florian7
Dabbler

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you.

I have no idea why this is even happening to begin with, let alone to so many people who are in fibre. I've been with plus net for a little over a year now, switched over to them because a friend of mine is and she has no trouble with it at all.

That one year I was with them I just had standard broadband, the slowest there is but did the job for the time being. Never a drop out like this happened during that time. None. Now, after upgrading to fibre a month ago, drops on a daily basis. At complete random time. With complete random number of times, some days a couple, others into the 20s. It's so bizarre to me and also infuriating.

Since trying to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it, I've been getting mixed messages from them. One time I get told it's an external issue, then it's an internal one, then back to external, been questioned if I heard correctly when picking up my handset (no sound from it) and recently had an engineer around just to tell me my line is fine yet my internet still drops. So now I'm being sent a new hub that "should" fix the problem. Though if I'm honest, I don't think it will, not with my track record of unfixable issues.

Sorry for coming in here with a rant.

arleney69

Yes I have the same problem also I have no line it is dead , so can not use my home phone as my line is dead is this ment to be dead with fiber broadband ? If not what should I do .
Tags (2)
iainmacn
Hooked

You should still be able to hear the dialling tone as far as I know.  I don't use my landline phone so I unplugged it to keep things as simple as possible

iainmacn
Hooked

Hi Florian7

No worries about the rant, I'm fuming about this myself!

Currently waiting for a call back from Plusnet - I was hoping they'd have responded here but no such luck.

I honestly don't know what to do next - I've only just signed up to an eighteen month contract but can't stomach 17 more months of this!

Florian7
Dabbler

Same about not knowing what to do next, well, apart from one thing which is to just switch to someone else if the replacement router/hub doesn't work either since everything else to try and fix the problem has been done so far. No dice.

iainmacn
Hooked

Got an engineer booked for tomorrow morning now.

While it didn't account for all the faults, I had just discovered a way to make the internet drop out - namely walking in a certain place in my hall.  For some reason it isn't making it drop out now - I'm partly pleased and partly disappointed as I wanted to be able to show it to the engineer.

iainmacn
Hooked

Well, I'm not going to relax and say it's fixed yet, but I've just had a third engineer here who was very thorough and picked up yet another issue, which has now hopefully been put right by running a new cable.  Quite why this wasn't picked up by the previous two I don't know.  He did suspect the router at one point.

I'll be holding my breath over the next few days!

Florian7
Dabbler

Well that doesn't sound too comforting, but fingers crossed it'll have fixed it on your end now.

I still have to wait for my new router to turn up (sometime this week I think) so that's still up in the air, I will say that I made my own little test here. I waited until my broadband was acting up again and dropped out, during which I phoned up my own home phone to see if it may be a wiring thing or something along the lines. Worked just fine, so it could well just be a faulty hub. I hope.

iainmacn
Hooked

Fingers crossed for you.  Interestingly my engineer said he'd seen a few dodgy routers including the customer prior to me.

iainmacn
Hooked

Well - four days have passed without any dropouts, so fingers crossed the problem's solved!