cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping

Welpz
Dabbler

Connection dropping

Since a few weeks ago we have been experiencing dropouts two or three times a day for a 1-2 minutes. As of the past few days this has increased in frequency to every hour or two. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Re: Connection dropping

Hello @Welpz

Sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your connection. I have a checked your connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as we can see it is dropping more than we would like. Although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Welpz
Dabbler

After using the test socket for several hours the issue remains the same, with disconnects occuring for the same amount of time at basically the same frequency. 

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I've been getting the same for some time. The line checks OK, and speeds are as good as they've been for many years. I use the BTO modem connected to a TP-Link Router Modem in router only Mode. I suspect my problem may be the Router as i don't see the line disconnecting on the modem.

It's annoying but infrequent (I don't notice some, I suspect, since it all returns in about 3 minutes), also being intermittent and short it's hard to see exactly what's happening.

I wonder if changing the modem would sort it, but not enough to spend out on one. Maybe the failing will increase and twist my arm!

Good Luck solving your problem.

nosnibor73
Dabbler

We are having the exact same problem.  We've done all of the self help tutorials and had it in the test socket, but still having the same problems.  We've only been with Plusnet for a month and this started happening, as far as we are aware, only 6 days ago.  Up until then it was absolutely fine.  I've raised a ticket, so here's hoping it will get sorted soon. 

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

This dropping out seems to be a recurring theme SammyM. Is it disconnecting at the Plusnet end?

That might explain why when it drops I haven't seen the connection light fail, I'd be connected to Cabinet and the internet but the connection to PlusNet momentarily broken would force the router to re-establish the connection to the ISP.

If there is an ongoing problem this it would help to know and stop us all "adjusting our set" in old TV parlence when signals failed.

Fear of admitting faults these days prevents honesty, and so suppliers, service providers, airlines, train companies etc etc.Do not declare specifics anymore, seemingly for fear of litigation.

It would help though, if there is a known fault to announce that a "technical issue" was behind the dropouts, IF indeed one is.

If it is the case, it would help even more if someone can get to the bottom of it and sort it out.

Thanks for reading this.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Welpz,

I'm sorry to see that you've still been experiencing issues with the services. I've retested your line today and detected an external fault along your line and so I've raised this to Openreach for further investigation. I've opened a ticket on your account regarding this which can be viewed here.

Please let us know if you have any further issues or queries regarding the fault.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team