cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping very frequently

Ninkola

Connection dropping very frequently

Hi, I am new on here but have been with Plusnet over 2 years with no problems. Now I have periods where I can't maintain any internet connection on my PC. The reason I have started a new post is that I don't see my exact situation in other posts.

Firstly my wi-fi connection with my Samsung mobile and iphone are fine. Test speeds seem good. The problem is when connecting with my PC. This problem first occurred for a week a few months ago and I did all of the suggested fixes such as turning off both PC and router, moving PC next to the router, ethernet connections and direct connection to the test box. Incidentally my test socket and router are in the same hall and my flat is small, so at worse, the PC is never more than 5 metres away from the router.

Eventually I resolved the problem by moving the router away from the phone and nearer a doorway- at least I thought I solved it - but it's back.

So when I finally get a connection I go to open a new internet page and loose connection. Realtek is showing as ok, but often my router is not to be found in the list of wi-fi options. I cannot maintain a connection at all - looking at network connections it goes straight from connected to disconnected, tryingvto find my router, connecting and immediately disconnecting. I'm writing all this on my phone with no wi-fi problems.

I frequently had problems when I was with BT with my phone line, as I'm on an old exchange, but my phone is currently fine through these broadband issues.

I am supposed to be online job searching but can't do this at all as a phone is not a suitable device to apply for jobs etc so this is urgent.

Finally, I'm in a block of 15 flats on the ground floor nearest the exchange box (not sure if this has any bearing) I can sometimes see neighbour's routers in my list of available wi-fi and not Plusnet, however, as there secure I've no idea if they would sustain a connection either.

Sorry for long post - but wanted to include all info so we could cut to the chase with a solution.

7 REPLIES 7
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Connection dropping very frequently

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Ninkola thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems. I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues with the broadband signal coming into your router and your broadband connection has only seemed to drop twice yesterday in the past 65 days.

If you're just experiencing WiFi issues I'd recommend changing the wireless channel in your router settings by going Here although you'd need a good connection to the router to do that so if you can't connect to the WiFi, you'd need to carry this out on your PC while it's plugged into the router using an ethernet cable.

I think it'd also be a good idea to split what's known as the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies explained Here.

If you're having trouble getting an internet connection on your PC while it's plugged into the router using an ethernet cable, I'd be tempted to send you another router to try as it's possible the one you have may be failing.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ninkola

Thanks for your response. I'm just trying the options to see if they help. I'll get back to you when I do.
Ninkola

Hi, I have followed the steps suggested. I was already on auto choose channel and ch6 was being used. I also split the frequencies but my PC only find the 2.4 option.

I have gone back to wireless and realised that all is ok in the lounge but not in the bedroom. Odd because the router is just by the doorway to the bedroom and lounge (said my flat was small!) I think there's something in the flat above me or backing on to my bedroom which is causing interference. I suppose if it works in the lounge - I can live with the problem.
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Ninkola

5Ghz is a more concentrated signal so you'll likely have great performance in the room the router is in and the further away you become the less available it becomes.

2.4Ghz covers a wider area but the signal isn't as concentrated. If you suspect there's interference nearby and you've only changed the channel once, it might be worth trying others.

I live in a flat too and there's always a new router being introduced in the available networks. I'm constantly changing the channel. It's frustrating at times, but worth taking the opportunity to try some more (if not all) of the channels.

Ninkola

Thank you for your advice. I now have a vision of router wars😄.

I have tried other channels but will continue to flip through them to see if it helps.

Most flats here have their routers in the hall (above mine) or lounge which is where my pc still works, I am still sure there is a gremlin in my bedroom!

It is good to hear from a fellow flat resident as you share the pain
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to us @Ninkola.

Rather than just flipping through, it would definitely be in your interest to get a wifi analyser app - there are free ones available for both Apple and Android and they'll help you to identify the least congested channel.

Let us know how you get on.