Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping, slow speed!

jgfry
Dabbler

Connection dropping, slow speed!

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help. For the last week or so, our fibre connection has been randomly dropping out, before reconnecting a short while later. Sometimes it is down for a few seconds, and other times it is down for a minute or two. Alongside this, when it is working, the speeds can be incredibly slow (just did a speed test post-disconnection which came back as ~0.21mbps).

When the internet drops, I am still connected to the router wirelessly, but the internet connection is not available. This occurs across all devices in the house, all running various operating systems. It leads me to think it's a line issue rather than a router issue.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the disconnections, but we notice it more in the evening when we are all home from work etc. Nothing seems to trigger it (such as appliances being switched off/electrical interference).

Can anyone offer any advice, or check out the line perhaps?

Many thanks
4 REPLIES 4
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Connection dropping, slow speed!

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

We aren't seeing any drops on our end as shown below

Do you have any devices that connect over a wired connection to see if they have the same issue?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jgfry
Dabbler

Hi Matthew

Thanks for the reply. I assume this means that it is something internal (looking at the router) which is the issue, if the line is showing as fine?

Unfortunately we have nothing hard wired as it's just tablets/phones that we use.

I have the Plusnet hub one router and have had a quick look through the error logs etc but can't see anything immediately obvious. Are you able to give me any insight in to what I should be looking for error-message-wise that may explain the disconnections?

Thanks
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

There have been reports that some kit can get confused by the hub broadcasting wifi on 2 frequencies. There can be problems when devices switch from one to the other,  and reports of even dropping the connection. It might be worth separating the two signals. @bill888 has posted how to do that at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

As advised above it may be worth seperating the wireless bands and also changing the wireless channel -Matt

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team