Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping reguarly, light always blue, router replacement even worse

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Connection dropping reguarly, light always blue, router replacement even worse

Hi @redrook,

Thank you for getting back in touch on here and via the fault ticket. I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems with your connection.

It's odd that the connection drop affected all of your devices except your TV - thank you for letting us know that this included ethernet connections. The recent drops on your connection log are showing as "user request" which suggests that we're only seeing the connection drop on this side when your router is reset. It could well be the case that your router is the cause of the fault. Please can you try swapping back to your previous router and let us know if the problem persists.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
redrook
Grafter

Re: Connection dropping reguarly, light always blue, router replacement even worse

Hi @EmilyD, I left the replacement router in since your last message and we seem to have had two days with no issues. However, today it dropped out for all devices except my work surface - which I was using for a call, and continued to use for 2 hours with no issue, but no other device could get a connection.

I have now reconnected the old router, but as this was the original problem I feel we will experience the same issue. To me it seems that the routers are the issue.

I've added some info to the ticket too.

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @redrook - thanks for getting back to us. I have included the latest Radius graph from my testing earlier and we can see the aforementioned stable period but not the drop you advised of at half 1, we're only registering the change of router just after half 3.

Given that you've only just changed the router back, it would be worth monitoring this over the next couple of days to see if this remains stable. I've updated the ticket too so feel free to get back to us there.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
redrook
Grafter

Thanks @WillF, I thought that would be the case. I'll keep the old router in the test socket for now and provide an update in a few days unless we experience a drop before then. 

redrook
Grafter

Hi all, @WillF @EmilyD , I've added another reply to the ticket.

I've had the old router in the test socket since last week, and there's been a drop every day or so, but less frequently than with the replacement router. Each time one or two devices remained connected, while nothing else could connect (including via ethernet). This seems like a router issue.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @redrook 

I'm sorry for the problems with your connection.

At this stage I don't believe this is a router fault as you've tried two routers. Upon further investigation it appears that your line's running at a faster speed than it can handle so I've made a change to a setting on the line which should influence the automated dynamic line management (DLM) software to prioritise a stable connection over a faster one. 

While this may mean you might see a decrease in speed, it should still sit above or within the estimated speed range for your line. The changes I've put through should take effect from tomorrow but it can take 7 to 14 days to see an improvement. Could you let us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
redrook
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf, thanks for your help, I'll report back on how it goes. Am I ok to move the router out of the test socket? It would be useful to have it in the extension again.

Just FYI, as I think I may have said somewhere in the ticket, the engineer switched us to a spare line between the exchange and the house on his last visit (thereby eliminating any issue there might have been on that part of the line). I'm not sure if this is useful information or not, but thought I'd mention again.

I should also mention that the router (old router) is double-booting when I restart it, should I switch to the replacement router?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thanks @redrook,

As connecting to the test socket didn't make a difference to your connection, you can move the router back to the extension socket if that's easier for you. Switching to the replacement router would probably be best if the old router is double booting.

All being well, the changes that @Gandalf has made should stabilise your connection. Please let us know if you continue to have problems after the 7 - 14 day period.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
redrook
Grafter

Hi @EmilyD I've added some more info to that ticket. This is getting very frustrating now.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Thanks for the update, @redrook.

I appreciate this is causing inconvenience and frustration. Please allow some further time for the line to settle, if not successful please let us know and we'll happily look at it again.

Thanks - LF

redrook
Grafter

Hi guys, it has been two works and the problem is as bad as ever. We are still having to reset the router two or three times a day, sometimes more, and this seems to be getting more regular. 

Every time the issue is over both wi-fi and ethernet, and the router double boots when reset. This is happening on both the original and replacement router. 

I have noticed absolutely no difference to the speed when it is working, so I'm not sure whether any line speed adjustment did much.

It is getting to the point where this is interfering with work, as well as our general service. 

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @redrook, thanks for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear your connection issues are still ongoing. I've looked into this and believe the problems you're seeing could infact be being caused by a known router issue and I'd advise checking out the reply I've added to your fault which hopefully may help get to the bottom of this issue once and for all.
The fault on your account can be seen here.
I hope this helps and please do let us know how it goes.

redrook
Grafter

Hi @BD , thanks for your reply, I've responded to the ticket and will try as you suggest.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @redook, thanks for getting back to me and I'm happy to hear you're going to give my proposed work around to the issue a go.
I've seen your reply on the fault ticket and have updated this further for you with my findings and answers to your queries. I hope this helps.

redrook
Grafter

Splitting frequencies did not work, the issue has just happened again. This time all devices lost connection (including my work laptop which usually does not), and this included ethernet connection.

I will now disable 5GHz completely.