Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping out & orange light flashing

FIXED
Toffee_efc
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Connection dropping out & orange light flashing

Hi newbie here, I’ve been having problems with my router dropping connection randomly, the router will go from blue light to orange flashing light & normally take 5-10 mins to connect up again which is frustrating.

I only use the router with WiFi for a number of devices, MAC Laptop, Printer (WPS), TV, Sky Box (WPS) & iPhone/iPad.

I’ve tried moving the router box upstairs but has made no difference to the dropouts.

I’ve contacted plusnet & they have done a line check & said they can’t see any faults that would cause the problem but recommend sending an engineer out to investigate.

Can anyone suggest any setting changes that might be worth trying with the router or is there a firmware update that might help. It’s probably worth highlighting that I have moved from BT to Plusnet in the last 3 months & didn’t have this problem before.

Any suggestions or guidance would really be appreciated.
21 REPLIES 21
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Connection dropping out & orange light flashing

Hi @Toffee_efc and welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues and checking the graph below we can see there's certainly something out of place somewhere.

There's nothing highlighting as linked to these drops when testing your connection and line also and therefore we'd recommend running through some internal checks before we go down the route of raising a fault to our suppliers who will more than likely advise getting a engineer out to investigate further as you've mentioned.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Given the frequency of the drops we'd advise leaving in this set-up for 24-48 hours if the issue isn't still apparent straight away.

Although it very well could be, my experience is leaning away from the router being the cause given how the drops aren't looking to happen randomly but between set hours. By all means though if you still have your previous BT Home Hub feel free to let us know which version it is and we'll happily provide steps on how to set this up with our connection to help rule out the router as the cause.

Let us know how it goes. - Benj

Toffee_efc
Dabbler

Hi Benj,

Thank you for the quick reply really appreciated.

Both my broadband sockets do not have test sockets they are standard without a faceplate I also don’t use the line for telephone calls so I can’t see what the line clarity is like.

I switched the router from the downstairs socket where the connection comes into the house & connected to the bedroom socket for 5 days & still saw the drop outs occurring.

Unfortunately I no longer have my old BT Router to switch back to for a test. I’m pretty certain the new Plusnet Router is no different it looks the same just different colour.

I agree with your findings that the dropouts always seem to occur between set hours, most noticeable period for me being between 19:00 & 23:00.
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Thanks for getting back to us @Toffee_efc. There could be a chance that your property may not have a test socket and this is usually the case if you've not had any phone socket upgrades in the last 20+ years or if you're in a shared property/flat and the master socket may be elsewhere in the property. Given the issue however I'd just like to make sure all attempts to locate the master/test socket have been made and I'd advise if you haven't already to follow the line from outside the property if possible to see where it enters your property as usually the master/test socket can be found just after. In some cases the master/test socket can be located in the basement or attic so I'd advise not ruling these places out as where it could be if there is one. Let us know how it goes and if you're able to locate it at all.

Toffee_efc
Dabbler

Yes I’m currently connected in the master socket where the line feeds into the property.
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Hmm, looking at the RADIUS graph, I'll try and think if anything in your home could be switching on or off between 1930(ish) to 0400(ish), things like central heating, house alarm etc.

Also, from the sounds of it, you could well have the bell wire still connected - google bell wire removal.

Then see if things get any better....?

Toffee_efc
Dabbler

Hi DS,

Thanks for the input.

Yes my bell wire is connected however I disconnected this & also unplugged my thermostat which is approx. 4 metres away from router to see if this would help. Steady connection & then.... 20:00 & internet drops out flashing orange light then reconnects after 5 minutes.

The only possible interference would have been sky box connected by WPS & my iPhone.

I’m expecting a few more drop out this evening that’s normally how the pattern goes.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Sorry about my typo above, I'll should have been I'd

(anyway, we can skip over that)

Removing the bellwire, although it hasn't fixed it, it won't make it any worse - time will tell if the drops reduce.

Same goes for the thermostat - again time will tell if the drops reduce.

I really can't see the box or the phone being the cause.

As it didn't happen with (my guess a BTHH5) but it is with the PNH1, it might be that, but it's too early to point a finger (or find your hammer).

Do you have any spare microfilters? If so it might be worth trying another one (more so if it was the original one from when you were with BT).

Toffee_efc
Dabbler

Yes I have a spare microfilter which I’ve now installed. This will have been the old BT filter but unfortunately don’t have the router.

Could the thermostat control for the heating really affect the internet even if it’s not a wireless thermostat control?
DS
Seasoned Champion

Firstly, great, it's worth a try

Secondly, yes mechanical or wired thermostats can affect the BB connection.

(as can wireless ones)

Also, is the router itself near a mains socket, is there a chance you could move it away slightly

(Ideally you could do with a corded phone too, to dial 17070 and select option 2 - a quiet line test, it should be silent, maybe borrow one from a neighbour - it'll only take a few mins?)

Toffee_efc
Dabbler

Really appreciate the suggestions DS. I will try & borrow phone tomorrow to do the test. Router not near plugs.

BB has been down 3 times so far tonight since 20:00, the most recent after changing the filter.
DS
Seasoned Champion

No problem @Toffee_efc Smiley

If it's noisy, try and describe it - hissing, whooshing, crackling, popping, ticking etc.

Likewise, if it's completely silent, you should only hear 'her' voice.

As it's still dropping, it does kinda rule out the microfilters as being a cause

(plus there's nothing more frustrating than a dropping connection over a weekendKnuppel)

Toffee_efc
Dabbler

Hi DS,

Hoping to get phone tomorrow to do line clarity check.

Still experiencing dropouts.

In meantime I noticed when removing bell wire as suggested that I have two of each wire. So both orange wires are now disconnected. 2 blue connected into port 2 & 2 white/blue wires into port 5. Does this look/sound like ok wiring?

Appreciate any feedback.
DS
Seasoned Champion

It looks like it is what's termed a radial circuit.

So each socket is linked, but that to me isn't the main socket

outside wire===S1=====S2=====S3=====S4

(crude 'drawing', but S1 is the master socket, S2, 3 and 4 would be any other sockets)

The master socket would have 2 wires terminating onto terminals A & B (not 2 & 5)

Toffee_efc
Dabbler

Directly behind that socket is where the outside feed comes into property into living room so assumed that must be main socket.

The upstairs socket is in bedroom. I’ve just checked that & only has one of each cable. So does that mean that must be main socket?

Dropouts are occurring in both sockets though so I don’t know if that’s telling me much.